• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Carlsberg don't do umbrella companies but if they did................................

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Emmie Noughton View Post
    Well I don't know about the best umbrella company in the world but I have just started contracting, looking at my options and a colleague has recommended umbrella companies due to the ease in getting started and lack of admin involved. I was initially thinking Ltd Company but to be honest this intimidates me a little at the moment. I have looked into a few umbrella companies and I have to say that I wasn't impressed with the level of customer service. Some of the staff were not very helpful at all. Just wanted to sign me up but not willing to offer any advice. I'm pretty new to everthing at the moment but having read some of the forum posts I think this site could be very helpful - if you have any advice for a first timer using an umbrella company I would welcome it!
    The best thing to remember is that no umbrella company can 'maximise your earnings', no umbrella company is 'approved by HMR&C and no umbrella company can 'Guarantee 85% take home pay'. Basically all legitimate umbrella companies work in exactly the same way and your earnings will be the same whichever one you use, other than any differences between their fees.

Did you have any specific questions about working through an umbrella company that we could help with?
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
      The best thing to remember is that no umbrella company can 'maximise your earnings', no umbrella company is 'approved by HMR&C and no umbrella company can 'Guarantee 85% take home pay'. Basically all legitimate umbrella companies work in exactly the same way and your earnings will be the same whichever one you use, other than any differences between their fees.

Did you have any specific questions about working through an umbrella company that we could help with?
      Thanks for your reply Lisa. I have been dealing with Nasa over the last few days who have been really helpful and answered a lot of my (ridiculously simple) questions! This along with some of the feedback on the forum has made me much wiser now that I was a week ago. I'm sure I have a lot to learn yet though. I'll eventually be setting up a limited company and I'm sure this will bring new questions but at the moment the umbrella route just seems to fit in with my needs at this time. (There isn't a cancellation fee with this umbrella company so I don't have to worry about that.)

Comment

Thanks for your reply Lisa. I have been dealing with Nasa over the last few days who have been really helpful and answered a lot of my (ridiculously simple) questions! This along with some of the feedback on the forum has made me much wiser now that I was a week ago. I'm sure I have a lot to learn yet though. I'll eventually be setting up a limited company and I'm sure this will bring new questions but at the moment the umbrella route just seems to fit in with my needs at this time. (There isn't a cancellation fee with this umbrella company so I don't have to worry about that.)
        I'm glad that you are finding things a little easier now

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Carlsberg don't do umbrella companies but if they did................................

I used Parasol and I have to say they were rubbish. Their charge was more than originally stated (details provided remained the same), they have messed up my tax and really did as little as possible. I also have to wait between two to eight weeks (if I'm lucky) to get my P45 and P60.

I am now looking for another umbrella company as I don't really want to go Ltd at the moment. It is like trying to find the best of a bad bunch!

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin View Post
            I used Parasol and I have to say they were rubbish. Their charge was more than originally stated (details provided remained the same), they have messed up my tax and really did as little as possible. I also have to wait between two to eight weeks (if I'm lucky) to get my P45 and P60.

I am now looking for another umbrella company as I don't really want to go Ltd at the moment. It is like trying to find the best of a bad bunch!
            Merlin I'm really sorry to see that.

If you PM me your details I'll make sure your documentation is sent out to you ASAP.

Comment

I used Parasol and I have to say they were rubbish. Their charge was more than originally stated (details provided remained the same), they have messed up my tax and really did as little as possible. I also have to wait between two to eight weeks (if I'm lucky to get my P45 and P60.

Well I have to say I'm so far impressed with my choice in Nasa Consulting. The fee advertised is the fee I'm paying and the service so far has been great. It's early days yet I know but I feel like I'm getting good value for money! I have learnt that there are many umbrella companies advertising amazing fees and promising things that simply aren't accurate - I have always preferred the 'no bo**ocks' approach! Just tell me how it is.

Comment

Well I have to say I'm so far impressed with my choice in Nasa Consulting. The fee advertised is the fee I'm paying and the service so far has been great. It's early days yet I know but I feel like I'm getting good value for money! I have learnt that there are many umbrella companies advertising amazing fees and promising things that simply aren't accurate - I have always preferred the 'no bo**ocks' approach! Just tell me how it is.
                Very sensible approach - your take home pay will be the same whichever company you use so it does really all come down to service at the end of the day

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Steven, thank you for the offer. I now have my P45 and yep, they, Parasol have totally messed it up!!! They even sent it without my name, only my address on the envelope! No tax code has been included (although they had my previous P45 with tax code) and now I have to get the taxman to help get this sorted. And I paid to have them mess all this up!

Emma, pleased you are impressed with Nasa. Will have a look at them. I don't want miracles, happy to pay for a good, honest and reliable service. Just want people to do their job.

Onwards and upwards...

Comment

Sorry, forgot to add that Parasol even got the date wrong for the last day that I worked! Put it two days AFTER I had finished. Sure the taxman will be interested in this!

Comment

Sorry, forgot to add that Parasol even got the date wrong for the last day that I worked! Put it two days AFTER I had finished. Sure the taxman will be interested in this!
                      To be fair to Parasol, your P45 will not necessarily report the last day that you worked as, through any umbrella company, you are likely to receive a payment after the last day at the client site

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                      X