• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End of IT contracting this June?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's very clever of the Government to push the decision on a contractors' IR35 status onto the hirers - with financial penalties possibe if they screw up.

The hirers don't want to take any risks and so make all contract positions inside IR35 no matter if the person applying is outside IR35.

I think those who say that this wouldn't work in the private sector are wrong.

Which permie boss would want the hassle from his bosses if he screws up and there are financial penalties for his, or her, company?

Comment

Originally posted by Craic View Post
      It's very clever of the Government to push the decision on a contractors' IR35 status onto the hirers - with financial penalties possibe if they screw up.

The hirers don't want to take any risks and so make all contract positions inside IR35 no matter if the person applying is outside IR35.

Which permie boss would want the hassle from his bosses if he screws up and there are financial penalties for his, or her, company?
      Agree with all of the above, except I don't call this "clever", but cunning and cynical (as per the Tory playbook).
      Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
        Agree with all of the above, except I don't call this "clever", but cunning and cynical (as per the Tory playbook).
        Or alternatively lazy, or confusing, or dangerous.

I guess it depends whose view you're taking. The permie Project Manager who has just lost half his team due them buggering off after being declared inside will see it as dangerous. Someone else who is having to make the decisions based on no prior knowledge of IR35 will see it as lazy, while anyone who is new to IR35 in the PSB and is trying to exercise reasonable care but tries to tally IR35 back to the ESS tool will see it as confusing.

Couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery is probably the best summary I've heard.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Or alternatively lazy, or confusing, or dangerous.

I guess it depends whose view you're taking. The permie Project Manager who has just lost half his team due them buggering off after being declared inside will see it as dangerous. Someone else who is having to make the decisions based on no prior knowledge of IR35 will see it as lazy, while anyone who is new to IR35 in the PSB and is trying to exercise reasonable care but tries to tally IR35 back to the ESS tool will see it as confusing.

Couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery is probably the best summary I've heard.
          I'm talking about the political masters (like this guy), not the poor bastards on the ground left to hold the bag. Don't mistake ideology for incompetence. Some of these guys hate contractors and want contracting dead.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            Indeed, but I also mentioned the political realities. It comes down to the degree of pushback, and I would not expect a large pushback on measures that are wrapped as "anti-avoidance". This is most definitely not a re-run of the NI debacle. We are not the "self-employed" as perceived by the mainstream press. Remember, the Tory backbenchers don't want to rebel for the sake of it. They know division projects incompetence (witness Labour).
            Luckily for us the likes of News International and The Daily Mail Group engage contractors as well as traditional freelancers.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The permie boss(es) who engage contractors in many of the companies that have hired my services, aren't the permie boss whose team I most frequently end up engaging with.

This can become annoying when you want a timesheet validated/signed. In SMEs the finance director, who is a qualified accountant, can be involved and if you don't send them the timesheet in the right window it's not validated on time.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                What you've missed, though, is the ancillary impact of the contractor's disposable income - posh coffees, better restaurants, generally an extra 20-30k having an impact on the wider economy and the ripple effect which it creates.
                Yep, that might just push the real estate to proper crash post-Brexit.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Yep, that might just push the real estate to proper crash post-Brexit.
                  It will never be allowed to crash. Carney will see to it (even if it means devaluing the pound like there's no tomorrow).

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Luckily for us the likes of News International and The Daily Mail Group engage contractors as well as traditional freelancers.
                    I try to avoid both TBH, but it seems to me that the Fail is most definitely not on our side. It helps that some of the most notorious examples come from the BBC or other PSBs (e.g. Ed Lester).

Comment

Don't forget, this was the original proposal in 1999 before big business lobbied to have it canned. It isn't a recent revelation.

Comment

Working...
                      X