• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC want to hear from us

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    The report is out.
    Thanks. There are a few interesting points, but I can't see much that hasn't been said before. To my mind, it was neither sufficiently broad nor sufficiently detailed, which may sound like an unrealistic criticism, but the scoping was wrong. It needed to include taxation, for example, and it needed to drill down in a sector-specific way, at least to some degree, as the picture changes dramatically depending on the sector and motivations behind self-employment. For this reason, generalisations about levelling the playing field on employee-type benefits are completely flawed in my view and, I dare say, focused on those individuals that feel much more precarious in their self-employment.

Perhaps one thing we can unite on is for gov't to stop ******* around with legislation every five minutes, but these reviews and consultations contribute to the problem as much as the solution. As with the NHS, everyone has ideas, but what's needed is a period of no ideas. For example, calls for simplicity w/r to tax and employment law provide a cover for raising revenue as much providing certainty. Not sure about the rest of you, but I can live with uncertainty (isn't that the point for many of us?), providing the game isn't changed every ******* minute.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      Thanks. There are a few interesting points, but I can't see much that hasn't been said before. To my mind, it was neither sufficiently broad nor sufficiently detailed, which may sound like an unrealistic criticism, but the scoping was wrong. It needed to include taxation, for example, and it needed to drill down in a sector-specific way, at least to some degree, as the picture changes dramatically depending on the sector and motivations behind self-employment. For this reason, generalisations about levelling the playing field on employee-type benefits are completely flawed in my view and, I dare say, focused on those individuals that feel much more precarious in their self-employment.

Perhaps one thing we can unite on is for gov't to stop ******* around with legislation every five minutes, but these reviews and consultations contribute to the problem as much as the solution. As with the NHS, everyone has ideas, but what's needed is a period of no ideas. For example, calls for simplicity w/r to tax and employment law provide a cover for raising revenue as much providing certainty. Not sure about the rest of you, but I can live with uncertainty (isn't that the point for many of us?), providing the game isn't changed every ******* minute.
      I agree that the scope is broad and there isn't a one size fits all answer. The most encouraging thing for me was the reinforcement that we're working independently because we want to be - this is a message that needs to come across loud and clear; most are not vulnerable workers that need protection.
      Last edited by mudskipper; 14 February 2016, 18:20.

Comment

@Jamesbrown the report actually said in it the self-employed are a varied group from farmers to taxi drivers plus freelancers and contractors.

Even in IT there are contractors and freelancers. It depends what specific service you need as a larger business who you hire.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Even in IT there are contractors and freelancers.
          One of the problems is terminology - I'll happily describe myself as a contractor or a freelancer. Others see freelancers as 'creative' and contractors as BoS. The terms themselves mean different things to different people. Many non IT folk associate contractor with building trades - which probably explains all the CUK visitors asking about their loft extension.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            @Jamesbrown the report actually said in it the self-employed are a varied group from farmers to taxi drivers plus freelancers and contractors.

Even in IT there are contractors and freelancers. It depends what specific service you need as a larger business who you hire.
            Yes, the report acknowledges this, but doesn't engage with it in any meaningful way. Some level of generalisation is always required, but I think it needs to be taken down a level to engage with categories of self-employed worker (because the conclusions will be profoundly different), while also covering taxation at a high level.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              I think the suggestion to align employment and tax status could be a positive - a client will have to think about whether they want an employee or a B2B relationship, and structure the contract and working practices accordingly. At the moment it could be argued that we get the worst of both worlds if IR35 caught. But as always, the devil will be in the detail - the flip side is that it could result in a big rise in FTCs.
              I agree. Finally read the report, and to me if this is implemented it is hugely significant.

It is not only important for client behaviour. The ramifications if you lose an IR35 case would be very, very different. Losing an IR35 case now means your tax status is employed and your employment status is self-employed. It's horrible.

If these are aligned, then you would get employment rights, and the client should be liable for the employers NI, if you lose an IR35 case. That means not only will clients be motivated to adopt IR35 proof contracts and practices, they will also be motivated to fight IR35 cases, rather than saying whatever might come to mind when Hector comes calling. And if you lose, it costs a lot less because the client is sharing the burden.

Comment

Working...
              X