• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SSD Recovery

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSD are a bit different than magnetic media and potentially a lot harder to recover.

The main difference is that there is a garbage collection mechanism which physically erases unused pages in order that they become available for writes. This happens within the drive as long as it's powered up and can't be disabled. A quick format won't overwrite files directly but it will TRIM all the data blocks. The longer the drive is powered up the better the odds that the garbage collector has erased the relevant pages.

Another difference is that the logical block addresses don't correspond directly to physical storage, the mapping changes over time and in general not all physical storage is directly accessible. So you can't just read every sector the way you can on a magnetic disk. Well, you can, but the results you get back will be arbitrarily jumbled up to some degree.

Worth a go though.
    Last edited by doodab; 6 June 2013, 08:02.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      But if he can wait until Friday to recover data then it's probably not very valueable...
      It's valuable but I have to wait till Friday as that is the soonest I'll have physical access to the disk
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
        Aye, definitely don't write to disk! Never tried on an SSD but should be the same. I have always had good results with:
        Free Data Recovery Software to free recover deleted files and recover formatted or corrupt hard drives - EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Free Edition.

Looks like you can install and recover 1GB for free so worth a punt! Good luck.
        Worked a treat, I only needed to recover <200kb so didn't have to pay!
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Similar situation - is this still the best option?

https://www.easeus.com/datarecoveryw...y-software.htm

Comment

I'm not sure there was a "best option" identified last time out, but that one looks good. Try it!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
              I'm not sure there was a "best option" identified last time out, but that one looks good. Try it!
              Maybe 'best' was the wrong adjective, I just wanted to check a 4 year old recommendation wasn't now the beetamax of solutions.

Comment

Working...
              X