• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why no MySQL roles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
    4GB, then you are outside of the bundle of loveliness that is SQL Express.
    The size of the databse is only one part of scalability. The more significant issue would be number of users, especially for a web app.
    MySQL can be installed as a cluster whereas I expect only SQL Server Enterprise edition can.
    Last edited by crack_ho; 24 February 2010, 10:58.

Comment

MySQL users

the ISP - Plusnet uses MySQL for all their systems.

Comment

Originally posted by crack_ho View Post
        The size of the databse is only one part of scalability. The more significant issue would be number of users, especially for a web app.
        MySQL can be installed as a cluster whereas I expect only SQL Server Enterprise edition can.
        Oracle RAC.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          Oracle RAC.
          Sybase ASE CLuster Edition.

Comment

MySQL is just a glorified SQL front end to a hash map. For anything serious you should be using a 'proper' RDBMS.

I say this having loads of experience using MySQL. Last time I used it, its foreign keys were not enforced. Deep down in the documentation it said that foreign key SQL syntax was there only for "compatibility reasons". WTF?!

During an earlier soiree with MySQL I needed to modify the stop list for FULLTEXT search -- I needed to include some common words like 'it' in the index. This was only configurable by recompiling the C source code. WTF?!

MySQL is a great little tool, but there are too many WTF moments to make it commercially viable.
            Cats are evil.

Comment

I think Sun have tarted up MySQL very nicely but like others have said, it's not enterprise-class and I feel they were gunning at Oracle with it. Well, trying....

Plus with Sun now being Oracle MySQL will be quietly brushed under the carpet along with Sun Linux 4.0, Sun Internet Mail Server and SunForum, and along with all the other half-arsed bandwagon-type investments Sun have made and quietly forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                I say this having loads of experience using MySQL. Last time I used it, its foreign keys were not enforced. Deep down in the documentation it said that foreign key SQL syntax was there only for "compatibility reasons". WTF?!
                It must be several years since you gained 'loads of experience' with mySQL - the InnoDB transactional engine has been around for ages and has full support for foreign keys and other 'modern' database concepts.

You're probably thinking of the older MyISAM engine which doesn't enforce foreign keys. MyISAM isn't used much these days in the enterprise - I think the most common usage scenarios are those needing read-only access at high performance levels.

Comment

The full text stopwords thing was configurable in 4.0.10 - circa 2003

Before 5 it was pretty noddy. It's moved on a lot with 5.0 and 5.1 though (apart from the fact it took several years for them to put 5.1 on general release)

Comment

Originally posted by oversteer View Post
                    There seem to be hardly any UK MySQL DBA contract roles [aside from the jokers paying £35k pro rata for a 6-month "contract", good luck with that]

Look for Oracle, MSSQL, Sybase etc and there are loads

Any ideas why MySQL is so poorly represented on the jobs side?
                    Isnt MySQL a bit like house chores - its not proper work thats why do don't get paid for it.

And to prove the point if needed, my wife is a DBA that uses MySQL quite a bit and also looks after the house & I dont pay her a penny.

PZZ

Comment

Working...
                    X