• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

rebooting computer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connectors can 'creep' due to vibration or thermal cycling.

I used to work on some kit housed behind the 19mm cannon on the Tornado a/c. That was interesting.....

Not that I'm suggesting you have similar vibrations, but the principle is the same.

Comment

Originally posted by RSoles View Post
      Connectors can 'creep' due to vibration or thermal cycling.
      Chip and connector creep due to thermal cycling are very common as for that matter are issues with the connectors oxidising.
      Oxide layers are molecule thin, but can cause enough resistance that things just stop, simple answer is to reseat everything.
      While reseating it's sensible to use a decent pencil eraser on the edge connectors, that's abrasive enough to remove any oxide.

I've no idea how many PC hanging, rebooting and just plain won't start errors I've fixed with a basic 10 minute reseat.

Comment

I had the same problem some time ago which turned out to be the power supply gradually failing.

Does it reboot itself when running in safe mode?
        Me, me, me...

Comment

I once had a similar problem, it was due to overheating - there was loads of dust on the CPU fan. Once the dust was removed it never happened again.

Comment

Mine used to do this. I bought some expensive and fast memory but didn't realise that you had to up the voltage. So when I ran memory tests the sencond stick appreared to fail presumably because it was being starved. So when I put any load on the box it would fall over. The shop where I bought the memory from said that they advise people not to use 2 sticks of this memory for that reason. They didn't know ablout the voltage thing. Once I increased the voltage it stopped the random reboots.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Most probably the power supply.

Comment

Hopefully bumping this back to the top will get some more help

It appears to be a faulty disk!

It seems that where the system info for one of my users is located is bad and that it now repeatedly crashes when this is accessed.

So I can't log on as that user, but I can log on as one of the other users without incident. (Fortunately I created a copy of my user when this problem started.)

However, every time I turn on it notices this faulty disk and wants to do a scan, which results in an "unspecified error" and refuses to correct the problem.

Is there anyway that I can get it to "fix this? (I accept that I'm going to lose some data, but I've lost it anyway!)

BTW I can't find my system CD (If I ever had one!)

tim

tim

Comment

chkdsk /F ?

Comment

Right click the C: drive, then choose properties.
                    Click on Tools tab, click Check Now button.
                    Select both options (Fix filesystem errors and find/fix bad sectors).

Hopefully it'll mark the bad sectors and avoid accessing them in future.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                      Right click the C: drive, then choose properties.
                      Click on Tools tab, click Check Now button.
                      Select both options (Fix filesystem errors and find/fix bad sectors).

Hopefully it'll mark the bad sectors and avoid accessing them in future.

It refuses to do that because "it can't check the disk that system files are on whilst windows is running".

It says that it marks the disk for a check the next time the computer starts, but this disk check at startup fails to complete (and thus doesn't mark the bad blocks)

I think that I'm stuffed with that computer and am going to have to scrap it

(thanks)

tim

Comment

Working...
                      X