• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

System architecture opinions sought

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using UDP rather than TCP in this case might make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Using UDP rather than TCP in this case might make sense.
      I did consider this as an option but as I understand it, UDP does not transport well over the internet because UDP packets are likely to be dropped by routers along the path. The network topology in this application must use the internet because the data gatherers are at geographically worldwide remote locations relative to the core server's location. I'll be happily corrected if I'm wrong about UDP however.
      Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

Originally posted by TheRefactornator View Post
        I did consider this as an option but as I understand it, UDP does not transport well over the internet because UDP packets are likely to be dropped by routers along the path.

UDP is used by all popular online games.

It is indeed not reliable protocol but you can easily solve this by adding counters and confirmations via UDP too.

UDP is ideal for small packets and cases when server needs to process lots of those packets.

Are you going to run this on LAN? If not you need to think about security for the data you send over public networks.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

UDP is used by all popular online games.

It is indeed not reliable protocol but you can easily solve this by adding counters and confirmations via UDP too.

UDP is ideal for small packets and cases when server needs to process lots of those packets.

Are you going to run this on LAN? If not you need to think about security for the data you send over public networks.
          I stand corrected. If I understand you correctly when you mention counters and confirmations, what you are describing here is a application level request/response protocol built on top of UDP that manages network retries to guarrantee delivery. Is that what you were thinking?

This will not run on the LAN so I've already considered encryption, but the sensitivity of the data will need to be confirmed by the vendor so I'm not sure if encryption is required yet.
          Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

Realtime means that the time taken is quantifiable, not that it's fast.

Stick to noddy .NET "apps".

Comment

Originally posted by TheRefactornator View Post
              Any thoughts on load balancing hardware? I'm aware of the Barracuda 640 that is able to handle 2000tps and redundant configuration for high availability http://www.barracudanetworks.com/ns/...cer_models.php but I would be interested to learn about other possible options.
              Not used one of these, but have used Brocade ServerIrons before (was Foundry before Brocade purchased them).
              These are robust pieces of kit and used by the likes of telcos.
              They'll do lots of different LB algorithms, round-robin, least loaded, sticky, non-sticky, etc, etc.
              Depends what your requirements are and how much you're willing to spend.

I wouldn't touch Windows NLB with a barge pole if this is for a highly-available production service. App health awareness is non-existent. I've seen NLB systems loadbalancing requests quite happily to systems throwing .NET server errors. There are workarounds, but not simple. With the hardware option you can at least put some intelligence in there to spot this.

Could talk for hours about this subject, but I charge for that

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                Realtime means that the time taken is quantifiable, not that it's fast.
                Says who?

By that definition, Royal Mail 1st Class is realtime.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Says who?

By that definition, Royal Mail 1st Class is realtime.

Is it quantifiable? It is supposed to take a day but can be 3 weeks in out part of LOndon.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post

I wouldn't touch Windows NLB with a barge pole if this is for a highly-available production service. App health awareness is non-existent. I've seen NLB systems loadbalancing requests quite happily to systems throwing .NET server errors. There are workarounds, but not simple. With the hardware option you can at least put some intelligence in there to spot this.

Could talk for hours about this subject, but I charge for that
                    http://blogs.msdn.com/clustering/arc...4/8648702.aspx

HTH

Comment

I don't that a multithreaded garbage collected environment could be classed as real-time.

Comment

Working...
                      X