• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AV software

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    There was a PC-on-a-USB device featured on the gadget show the other week that cost about £80 and which apparently isolates the main PC from the Internet.

This one I think
    http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/347683...rity+Appliance
    I saw this on TV too and thought it looked the biz. However, the blurb on play.com refers to this working on a laptop.... Any reason why this wouldn't be just as good on a desktop PC? Also, no mention of licensing the software. Is it a one-off fee?
    Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by Flubster View Post
      I saw this on TV too and thought it looked the biz. However, the blurb on play.com refers to this working on a laptop.... Any reason why this wouldn't be just as good on a desktop PC? Also, no mention of licensing the software. Is it a one-off fee?
      They seem to be targeting a corporate laptop rather than a home PC, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't use it.

http://www.yoggie.com/how-it-works

Suggests you need a licence for kaspersky something or other (1 year is included in the box).
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        They seem to be targeting a corporate laptop rather than a home PC, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't use it.

http://www.yoggie.com/how-it-works

Suggests you need a licence for kaspersky something or other (1 year is included in the box).
        Concur. Which begs the question, is there an equivalent bit of hardware more suited for the home worker's desktop? I'm not a hardware techie so not sure what to Google for...

Comment

Concur. Which begs the question, is there an equivalent bit of hardware more suited for the home worker's desktop? I'm not a hardware techie so not sure what to Google for...
          Yes. A Mac with parallels desktop
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

What does it actually do? I have a feeling it's meant to be a replacement for a WiFi adapter, so effectively a WiFi adapater with built in firewall. Not a lot of use if you've got a wired ethernet connection.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              What does it actually do? I have a feeling it's meant to be a replacement for a WiFi adapter, so effectively a WiFi adapater with built in firewall. Not a lot of use if you've got a wired ethernet connection.
              No WiFi. All internet traffic is passed throught the USB thingy which is a mini-processor with all the AV software on it. So in effect, you don't have any AV software running on your laptop, freeing up resources. Unless I've missed the point...

Comment

Answered my own question.... Yoggie do this for SOHO...

http://www.yoggie.com/node/30

Comment

No WiFi. All internet traffic is passed throught the USB thingy which is a mini-processor with all the AV software on it. So in effect, you don't have any AV software running on your laptop, freeing up resources. Unless I've missed the point...
                  Interesting, though it's only filtering internet traffic. It wouldn't be able to scan files on your HDD for viruses, or operate an on-access scan on any files used on the PC, which is where traditional anti-virus tends to have a performance hit.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                  X