• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question regarding cable broadband?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question regarding cable broadband?

Seeing that broadband questions are answered here, I got a short question.

I signed up with Virgin Media today. They serve my area through cable. I am renting this place from my Landlord, who is on Holiday, thus I can't ask him. Otherwise, I would have done that. Question is that I just had the brilliant idea to check where the cable connection actually is in this house... And honestly, I have a pretty hard time finding it? All I see is a "cable" coming through the walls from "above". At first I thought this would be it, but it's right where the basic antenna is on the roof. I guess it's only the antenna cable then. Or could it be both combined, somehow? I feel really stupid now.

I am new to the UK and things are definitely differently where I originally come from (Germany), so any help would be much appreciated.

Itzer

Hi Itzer

sounds like you've found the satellite or terrestrial tv feed.

Are you sure that there is an existing cable feed to the property?

Comment

I am with Virgin Media - it will definetly come through the front wall of the property.

It is not installed until someone orders at - you might be the first. Until then it will stay on the street. They will run a cable from the street to front of house - encased in a hose pipe type thing.

What speed broadband did you order?

I do hate Virgin - I am trying to summon the strength to move to BT.

Comment

The cable will run from the street into the property. Mine comes through the back of the house, through the house under the floorboards, and then into the front room to the V+ box and a modem there.

They might be able to run a cable up the side of the building and then into the flat, though, if you ask nicely. Not sure.

If there isn't an existing cable there, then they'll need to do that. If there is, then I'm sure they will find it for you
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          The cable will run from the street into the property. Mine comes through the back of the house, through the house under the floorboards, and then into the front room to the V+ box and a modem there.

They might be able to run a cable up the side of the building and then into the flat, though, if you ask nicely. Not sure.

If there isn't an existing cable there, then they'll need to do that. If there is, then I'm sure they will find it for you
          Your back of the house faces the street? A tad unusual?

Comment

There is a cobbled "road" / path to the front, which is rarely used by anyone in a car, as it's just to get to the park really. There is a wider cobbled street to the back of the house, which is where the main services come from.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Don't worry - they will put a new cable in near the ground of the house, you probably have one already just did not find it - either way this is not a structural change to the house that landlord would object - these days getting good tenants is not exactly guaranteed, so I would not worry about it - I was and still am renting and everywhere I had Virgin Media broadband, even in first case when they had to install it afresh like in your case.

Comment

Working...
              X