• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Deleting records SQL

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: surely....

The query part of this has a left outer join, so it includes all records from tblThis and just the matching records from tblThat.

Where there is no match, the query returns a null.

It therefore selects the records which are NOT IN tblThat.

The top line deletes these records from tblThis.

This is not standard SQL, however and wouldn't work in Oracle or MySQL.

Comment

from the Oracle 9i tech article

not an Oracle bloke myself Perl (Sql server/Sybase for many years) however this is a line from a tech article on oracle describing it's attempts to comply qith SQL99, hence it would seem that Oracle think it should work. Seem to remember I picked the original code up from one of Joe Celkos articles

*To write a query that performs an outer join of tables A and B and returns all rows from A (a left outer join), use the ANSI LEFT [OUTER] JOIN syntax. For all rows in A that have no matching rows in B, Oracle returns null for any select list expressions containing columns of B*

technet.oracle.com/produc...jan14.html

Comment

Re: from the Oracle 9i tech article

Yes, that bit works, but you can't then use that as part of a delete.

Comment

Working...
        X