• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it worth buying a NAS with a 'proper' CPU?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do the backup with a script I put together. The systems being backed up are all Linux.

There's no automatic re-sync. If a file is lost it can be restored. If an entire disk is lost in one of the backup clients, the client would have to be re-built with a new disk, then a restore performed to recover the data. If one of the backup targets was lost, it would have to be replaced, then backup "sets" (collections of backups) copied to it from another target.

A couple of times I've tried a home "DR" excercise. I pretend the main PC is completely lost, along with the password archive, then try to recover from there. In the real scenario you would probably start by buying a new PC or disk. For testing I've recovered into a Raspberry Pi and got a usable desktop with all my data present. Throws up some interesting issues eg. with passwords. No PC, no password manager/archive available. Even the backups are password protected, so at least one password has to be remembered some how.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      The ability to tinker is why I switched back to Unraid from FreeNAS. All tinkering (and I do offload stuff onto the server fairly often) is done in a VM or container.
      Chapeaux Sir, if it had not been for your suggestion of Unraid, I would not have found this chappie: How to Install & Configure an Unraid NAS - Beginners Guide - YouTube

*salutes you*

---

Former member of IPSE.

---
      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

I've toyed around with Pi's acting as a NAS and watched plenty of videos of running Unraid.

Now that I've started contracting, I definitely think that I'll purchase a Synology 920+ with a proper CPU for the business stuff. The others are great for hobby/tinkering around with, but for reliability and dependability, you can't beat paying the money for the proper thing.

I just need to figure out how I can expense it.

Comment

Originally posted by FreakShow View Post
          I've toyed around with Pi's acting as a NAS and watched plenty of videos of running Unraid.

Now that I've started contracting, I definitely think that I'll purchase a Synology 920+ with a proper CPU for the business stuff. The others are great for hobby/tinkering around with, but for reliability and dependability, you can't beat paying the money for the proper thing.

I just need to figure out how I can expense it.
          Ask your accountant.
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
          X