• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AMD or Intel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or it could even be a hard drive

I'd download memtest and hard drive diagnostics for your HD to rule those two out, it then starts to get complicated

Comment

Building the replacement now! I now have an intel core duo 6600, 1 gb ram (will buy more in a while) and a new power supply. All in it cost £299 inc VAT. I already had 750 Gb of HD space kicking about so I'll reuse that.

I suspected the video card all along and have been proved right as it is trowing up dodgy charachers on the new pc - this has onboard video so it at least gives a working image untill next week when I return this card. It's less than a year old so should still be under warranty. What this means though is the trusty AMD processor and kit was all working fine. I'm going to buy a new box to house that in and put together a server.

When I plugged my SATA drive in I got a screen load of 99 - anybody know what that is?
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by The Clown Beater
        Zilog Z180 Micromint SB180 running Z-System. Now there's a computer.
        Yes, those were the days when men were men and sheep were worried.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
          When I plugged my SATA drive in I got a screen load of 99 - anybody know what that is?
          Sounds like broken sata drive, not sure exactly what 99s mean, try another disk to see if its the problem.

Comment

Its OK I managed to get it working - Unplugged it until I got windows on there and then plugged it in and it worked fine. It boots of a normal ide disk and the sata one is just for extra storage.

Now I just have to dif out the invoice for the broken video card. The new pc seems to run like a cat with a scalded ar5e though! Quite happy for the £299 I spent.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

My first laptop with Pentium 133 Mhz and (I think) 500 MB disk cost me £2400

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                My first laptop with Pentium 133 Mhz and (I think) 500 MB disk cost me £2400
                Pathetic. Mine was an Amstrad PC-640:

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=195

Funny quote:

"could run with 10 C size batteries (1 hour battery life), or with an external AC adapter"
                I was TheMonkey

Comment

Beat my MK-61 instead - 105 bytes of memory (erased after it gets turned off, so enter program before you run it all the time), almost no characters, very slow, yet the games for it were exciting - I still have my book with hand written codes for it somewhere back home... along with around 400x 5.25'' floppies

Comment

I'll raise your MK61 and PC-640, and double it with a fx-602p (older but better than the MK), and a Tandy TRS-100.

The ZX-81 I'm keeping in reserve in case one of you pulls a straight.

Comment

FX-602p has got 512 steps of memory vs 105 in MK-61 there is also alpha ability in it, so it is much more advanced machine even though it was made earlier! So it's not really a raise, its lowering!

Comment

Working...
                      X