• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Eye strain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IL Cattivo View Post
    Both Glasses & Contact Lens wearer here. Can often find headaches bought on by eye strain when sitting in front of a monitor all day.

Try to consciously blink more if you can.. IT bods do tend to stare a lot at the screen and when engrossed in their work can forget to blink normally resulting in dry tired eyes.
    Don't forget to drink a lot of liquid/water throughout the day too. Another important thing is to try and request a Work Station Assessment from your client if you're working at their offices. This may be able to gauge in identifying if you're sitting too close or far from your monitor, incorrect screen size / resolution for the type of work etc.
    The point you didn't add is getting up hourly to get the liquid/water means your eyes take a break from the screen. This is also why you should get up and talk to people rather than send them an email.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      The point you didn't add is getting up hourly to get the liquid/water means your eyes take a break from the screen. This is also why you should get up and talk to people rather than send them an email.
      Weirdly enough I find that the days I get into the work and spend hours focusing on the screen are the days where I have less problems. It's when I spend half the day distracted that it's worse.

Does 4K help? I have a 4K (ish) laptop and it is a much nicer and easier to read screen, but then of course it's only 15".
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        Unfortunately my bank balance and pension are telling me it's nowhere near time to retire.

Tis, true, keep on trucking, 55 is still decades away.

Comment

I have contact lens to cope with general vision, and also varifocal glasses for close work.

The glasses are a recent addition and I hate them. I can never quite get the focus right. Also, you have to move your head to read, you can no longer scan with your eyes. It's just not natural.

Having said that, I do need them, so it's an inconvenience that I have to tolerate.

Getting old is tulip.

Comment

Working...
          X