• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Hi, I just got offered my first contract. I'm scared"

Collapse

• photomile
    replied
    I finally have a contract, and all seems.... okay.... although they've lumped in my stuff and the stuff for nasa consultancy so it's a bit confusing what I do and don't need to send. So.. yeah interesting. Very confusing. Otherwise it looks all ok, no pressure to even opt out either!

I'll go through the contract stuff and return 'my bits' so to speak. Thanks for the help all!

More and more learned every day, dear god I see why you do it now!

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by photomile View Post
    Despite calls from my self, Nasa Consultancy and a nudge from the client, I still don't have a contract, no electronic contract or otherwise, so in my eyes, I cannot continue working until I can sign off and get insured for the day at least!
    Phone up the agency and ask what the hell is going on. Tell them that you are going to have a chat with the client about it unless they can pull their finger out. The agency won't like looking stupid/incompetent in front of the client so that should spur them on. Telling the client you have no contract could get you marched off site though so be careful.

The happy news is the contract could well over-run, the bad news is that wonderful offer of overtime the recruitment consultancy made? Yeah, that was a lie. SO I think some extremely harsh words tomorrow morning.
    They lie through their teeth, that's their way of doing business. If it's not in writing then it doesn't exist. Even if it is in writing then it may or may not eventuate.

Leave a comment:

• photomile
    replied
    Thank you, much appreciated!
    Well, day one was interesting enough, I certainly see why you guys do it, so I'm billing my hours, milage to and from the office, and Nasa allow me to claim up to £5 un-receipted lunch allowance. Sadly the agency is still causing problems.

Despite calls from my self, Nasa Consultancy and a nudge from the client, I still don't have a contract, no electronic contract or otherwise, so in my eyes, I cannot continue working until I can sign off and get insured for the day at least!

I have however, been able to learn a hell of a lot about contracting since one or two seemed to try and 'take me under their wing'. The mindset is totally different to perms, and frankly it seems great.

The recruitment agency, not so much, since it's a very very serious issue I am led to believe, and not just for insurance purposes and them paying you!

The happy news is the contract could well over-run, the bad news is that wonderful offer of overtime the recruitment consultancy made? Yeah, that was a lie. SO I think some extremely harsh words tomorrow morning.

Anything else to add? not insured, won't get paid etc, no confirmation of rates.... I'm sure there's something illegal about this as well...

Leave a comment:

• photomile
    replied
    Originally posted by keninparis View Post
    I've missed the flight back from Paris (ms. KP's fault) so unfortunately have to email (can't bear to speak to him/her) my agency (pimp) to let the client know I'm unavailable tomorrow so feel free to drop me a line tomorrow if you require any advise (non screwdriver related) as probably will be killing time in a bar.
    Thank you, much appreciated!

Leave a comment:

• keninparis
    replied
    Many thanks again, I think I'm slowly coming up to speed on everything. Again, that document helps.

I fully appreciate what you say about simple questions, and I'm rarely the type to not do a tonne of research into something but, pound signs, desperation, last minute contract... I'm slowly finding things out, and hopefully yeah, I'll be up and at them tomorrow and onto more and more contracts!
    I've missed the flight back from Paris (ms. KP's fault) so unfortunately have to email (can't bear to speak to him/her) my agency (pimp) to let the client know I'm unavailable tomorrow so feel free to drop me a line tomorrow if you require any advise (non screwdriver related) as probably will be killing time in a bar.

Leave a comment:

• photomile
    replied
    Many thanks again, I think I'm slowly coming up to speed on everything. Again, that document helps.

I fully appreciate what you say about simple questions, and I'm rarely the type to not do a tonne of research into something but, pound signs, desperation, last minute contract... I'm slowly finding things out, and hopefully yeah, I'll be up and at them tomorrow and onto more and more contracts!

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Can you give me any examples of clauses to watch out for? Standard things I can work out but if there are specific things they like to put in to catch contractors out etc
    Whatever your "notice period" is, it's likely that the agency will slip in a clause which says the client can dump you at any time for any reason which makes the notice period a bit of a nonsense. Don't worry too much about it but do be aware.

Agencies like to put in a restraint of trade clause that says you can only work for the client through the agency who introduced you and this may be for a period of 12 months after the end of the contract. They also like to give you rubbish payment terms like monthly invoicing and payment 30 days after that. Either negotiate it down or invoice them weekly.

They will also try to get you to sign away your legal rights by opting out of the Agency Conduct Regulations. Since you are working through an umbrella, you can't opt out but they will try to make you think you can anyway. You should read the sticky and understand your rights under this legislation.

If you stick with contracting and you are making over ~ 30k/year then you should consider switching to LTD company and you can avoid a lot of tax but there is a bit of research to be done especially regarding IR35 once you are ready to go that direction.

There are great guides on this site - follow the CUK Navigation links on the right. Consider joining the PCG, especially if you go LTD.

There is a fair amount to learn and a lot of it is not intuitive. If you have questions about contracting then read the guides here and at PCG first and then tell us what part you are unclear on and you will (possibly) get a useful answer. If you just ask basic questions outright then people here will get grumpy with you.

Leave a comment:

• keninparis
    replied
    Indeed, perhaps the fact that I don't program means I'm not worth the time of some people.

That is brilliant advice, thanks! Will formulate better questions, but more and more things are getting answered! That guide is brilliant, thank you. I don't think I would have found that otherwise!

Suffice to say, this initial contract was a complete mistake. The umbrella company seems great from what I'm digging up, however the companies involved are really doing a bad job of communicating.

All I'm going to do with this, is try and get a reference, and work every bloody hour possible, as well as some strong words on monday morning about why there still isn't a contract for me on the day I start.

Lesson learned, but hopefully I'm gathering enough information now to make sure that I'm doing all of the right things for my next contract
    Apologies for my conduct on this thread. IT is a broad spectrum and we probably had cross-wires. All the best and good luck.

Leave a comment:

• keninparis
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    @keninparis - we are usually politer to newbies than you have been. There is an exception - when they amble in to General and start stirring it or asking moronic questions.
    Okay - point taken. I'll keep out of any new joiner threads, but initially as you'll see was trying to pass on a few tips.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    @keninparis - we are usually politer to newbies than you have been. There is an exception - when they amble in to General and start stirring it or asking moronic questions.

Leave a comment:

• keninparis
    replied
    What happens in Paris....
    Hope day 1 goes well and all the best. Warm regards. KP.

Leave a comment:

• photomile
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about a contract on the first day, as long as you have something in writing (or email) from the agent setting out the basic conditions and pay.
    Two problems with not having a contract
    - you won't be insured (so don't break/touch anything)
    - you won't get paid

So keep harassing. Try to get the umbrella co to do the legwork - they won't get their fee if you don't get paid.

It gets easier ... trust me
    Exactly as I thought!

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    I wouldn't worry too much about a contract on the first day, as long as you have something in writing (or email) from the agent setting out the basic conditions and pay.
    Two problems with not having a contract
    - you won't be insured (so don't break/touch anything)
    - you won't get paid

So keep harassing. Try to get the umbrella co to do the legwork - they won't get their fee if you don't get paid.

It gets easier ... trust me

Leave a comment:

• photomile
    replied
    Originally posted by keninparis View Post
    good luck buddy! (didn't realise I was your pimp)
    What happens in Paris....

Leave a comment:

• keninparis
    replied
    Not to worry

Put it this way...
    good luck buddy! (didn't realise I was your pimp)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X