• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Giant won't accept receipted claims for evening meals with overnight stay - why?"

Collapse

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    The only polite thing I can say about that is bull.
    Well quite

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post

"professional service firms that second staff to clients will not be caught by the new rules as their business is not substantially in the supply of labour"
    The only polite thing I can say about that is bull.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
    Thanks for the reply Lisa.

That just leaves more questions. What happens to contractors contracted into consultancies? Currently many are on similar expenses deals. What is the legal definition of a consultancy that sets them apart? What will stop umbrellas morphing into "consultancies"?

Sounds very badly thought through and ill advised. Why should I take a role far away from home if I have to spend taxed money on the travel and accommodation? So it will reduce workforce mobility which is exactly what the country doesn't need.

Cheers
    Sorry it took a while to reply CoolCat - have been away.

You're right it is badly thought out. As far as a legal definition of a consultancy is concerned, I have no idea - I don't know if there is one. HMRC's opinion is

"professional service firms that second staff to clients will not be caught by the new rules as their business is not substantially in the supply of labour"

I can see businesses going to considerable lengths to rebrand so that they can be considered as a consultancy and therefore strengthen their position in the market place

Leave a comment:

• CoolCat
    replied
    They're not but consultancies will be exempt from the new legislation. Possibly because they are involved in so many Public Sector contracts
    Thanks for the reply Lisa.

That just leaves more questions. What happens to contractors contracted into consultancies? Currently many are on similar expenses deals. What is the legal definition of a consultancy that sets them apart? What will stop umbrellas morphing into "consultancies"?

Sounds very badly thought through and ill advised. Why should I take a role far away from home if I have to spend taxed money on the travel and accommodation? So it will reduce workforce mobility which is exactly what the country doesn't need.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
    Well I've worked for a number of the big consultancies perm in the past. Generally they contract their consultants as home based contractually, and expense all their travel whenever they leave the home address - working on client sites and so on. How are umbrellas any different?
    They're not but consultancies will be exempt from the new legislation. Possibly because they are involved in so many Public Sector contracts

Leave a comment:

• CoolCat
    replied
    Well I've worked for a number of the big consultancies perm in the past. Generally they contract their consultants as home based contractually, and expense all their travel whenever they leave the home address - working on client sites and so on. How are umbrellas any different?

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by threespines View Post
    Thank you, Lisa. An ... interesting development!
    That's certainly one way of putting it

Leave a comment:

• threespines
    replied
    HMRC are proposing new legislation, which is currently under consultation, which means that if your client or agency or umbrella company has the right of supervision or direction or control over you, you won't be able to claim for tax relief against travel and subsistence costs from April 2016
    Thank you, Lisa. An ... interesting development!

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Please explain!
    HMRC are proposing new legislation, which is currently under consultation, which means that if your client or agency or umbrella company has the right of supervision or direction or control over you, you won't be able to claim for tax relief against travel and subsistence costs from April 2016

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Please explain!
    Search the site.

Leave a comment:

• threespines
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    It's a temporary problem - after April 2016 you won't be claiming for hotel or expenses.
    Please explain!

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    It's a temporary problem - after April 2016 you won't be claiming for hotel or expenses.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Go Ltd HTH.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    They are your employer and can have whatever policy they like. Quite simple really.

obviously that policy, whatever it is, has consequences.

strictly whatever you receive in expenses payments is taxable income. The claimable expenses - which often match - are then an allowance reducing your tqxable income. Depending on circumstance thes may or may not need to he reported on your satr.

this is a lng winded wayof saying "what you have failed to claim from your employer can be claimed on your satr".

This at least gets the tax back. You are still effectively out of pocket by the ni though.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    ...an expenses claim for the B&B/hotel can be made (up to quite a generous limit) BUT a claim for...
    I first read that as "an expenses claim for the B&B/hotel can be made up...", and was about to give a hot response on the subject of making up false expense claims, whoops...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X