• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Looking Abroad

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Looking Abroad"

Collapse

• NickNick
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Had a similar experience, working away, in Belfast, as the client paid all expenses on top
    Same for me wrt expenses.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    an extra three stone around my waist.
    Had a similar experience, working away, in Belfast, as the client paid all expenses on top

Leave a comment:

• NickNick
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    I did a year in Ireland on a decent rate yet didn't bank half a much in the war chest as normal.
    I did six months in Dublin and lived like a king. Walked away with some nice glassware as a present from the client, some new luggage and an extra three stone around my waist. No extra cash in the warchest after that one.

The flights were the killer for me though, out and back every week.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by redgiant View Post
    Not true - There are plenty of freelancers in the US across many industries. It's worthwhile especially if you have health insurance already.

I'm one of them now

But you need a VISA?

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Not true - There are plenty of freelancers in the US across many industries. It's worthwhile especially if you have health insurance already.
    That's why I used the word considered (a poor mans option), I know and have worked with plenty of people doing it. I certainly didn't say it was not worthwhile.

You can get bad contractors anywhere in the world. If they were reporting into you then why not give them the snip and hire someone more capable.
    Again, I said, in my discipline.
    Unfortunately, it is a known thing, getting contractors in NYC, in my discipline, is very difficult.
    I should know, I have been in the position of recruiting in NYC, on at least 4 occasions, furthermore a colleague has just found exactly the same.

Even the software vendor would agree, in particular, when it comes to NYC.

Leave a comment:

• zemoxyl
    replied
    Originally posted by pjt View Post

Does anyone have any experience taking contracts in other country's? If so how did it work out?
    :
    Yip. worked out brill, thanks,

Leave a comment:

• redgiant
    replied
    Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
    Is there any cost in doing so, as there is in relinquishing citizenship?

Which part of the US do you work in, if you don't my asking?
    Not that I am aware of - a green card isn't the same as citizenship. I would seek professional advice though but this article covers some of the points to be aware of from what I have heard through my UK/US accountants - 15 Things to Consider Before you Give Up Green Card Voluntarily - VisaPro Immigration Articles

I am working in the greater New York City area for a UK/US client.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    You can always give up your US green card if you have no intention of working back in the US when you leave. If you later returned to work in the US you would need to go through the whole visa application process again though.
    Is there any cost in doing so, as there is in relinquishing citizenship?

Which part of the US do you work in, if you don't my asking?

Leave a comment:

• redgiant
    replied
    Also a bit concerned about the fact that NZ and Australia (and Canada) are more exposed to China's faltering, volatile economic performance than the UK is, as they were all major beneficiaries of the commodities boom.

I really do fancy the US, but this is what would put me off it if I were to consider relocation there, in the event that I later wanted to leave.

At any rate, it's all rather moot for the time being as I want to change my skillset first before moving, which will take a year or two to get started.
    You can always give up your US green card if you have no intention of working back in the US when you leave. If you later returned to work in the US you would need to go through the whole visa application process again though.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Also a bit concerned about the fact that NZ and Australia (and Canada) are more exposed to China's faltering, volatile economic performance than the UK is, as they were all major beneficiaries of the commodities boom.

I really do fancy the US, but this is what would put me off it if I were to consider relocation there, in the event that I later wanted to leave.

At any rate, it's all rather moot for the time being as I want to change my skillset first before moving, which will take a year or two to get started.

Leave a comment:

• redgiant
    replied
    Contract working is considered the poor mans choice, compared to Perm, in the US.

I'm one of them now

Quality was rubbish, as well, in my discipline and related.
    I had 5 US based contractors, reporting into me, when I was at BNYM.
    You can get bad contractors anywhere in the world. If they were reporting into you then why not give them the snip and hire someone more capable.
    Last edited by redgiant; 12 November 2015, 21:19.

Leave a comment:

• oliverson
    replied
    I wasn't necessarily thinking about it in terms of contracting but clearly I need to research the topic more. Never been to either country.

What do you guys think of Canada btw?
    Lined up 7 interviews in New Zealand after the dotcom crash. I got an offer for a permie role in Christchurch but it never came good, the owner of the business (iTouch Mobility) wasn't in a position to offer anybody a role as he'd just sold the business and was seeing out his tenure. Kind of glad that happened because I then went into contracting and of course the Christchurch earthquake happened. NZ is a beautiful, beautiful place, especially the south island, but there's no real contracting market there (a bit like the UK in the next couple of years). Hence the reason the London market is infested with kiwi's all with a chip on their shoulder, out to try and prove something. I liken it to small dog syndrome. :-D

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    So I heard....
    Quality was rubbish, as well, in my discipline and related.
    I had 5 US based contractors, reporting into me, when I was at BNYM.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Contract working is considered the poor mans choice, compared to Perm, in the US.
    So I heard....

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Whats the visa situation like for Canada?

Always fancied US but I understand contract work is virtualyl impossible because of the need to get an employer to sponsor the visa.
    Not sure there's any countries left that will issue work permits that earned tied to a sponsor. UK used to, Tier 1 General, that's been closed for years. So contracting is more or less a closed door for a foreigner without dual nationality or enable to use EU rights.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X