• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "HMRC fact sheet on new dividend allowance"

Collapse

• jpdw
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    It will go up in line with the CT reduction, for sure.
    It'll go up ahead of the CT reduction.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by jpdw View Post
    The main useful thing from this is appreciating the part "Dividends within your allowance will still count towards your basic or higher rate bands". I can see this catching out people who assume the first 5k of divi doesn't count and then mistakenly draw 5k into the higher rate band.

My concern - once the 7.5% tax and these mechanisms are in place it going to be really quite easy to gently ratchet it up by 0.5% or 1% in successive budgets. Taxing something that isn't yet taxed is the 'visible' bit that people notice.
    It will go up in line with the CT reduction, for sure.

Leave a comment:

• jpdw
    replied
    The main useful thing from this is appreciating the part "Dividends within your allowance will still count towards your basic or higher rate bands". I can see this catching out people who assume the first 5k of divi doesn't count and then mistakenly draw 5k into the higher rate band.

My concern - once the 7.5% tax and these mechanisms are in place it going to be really quite easy to gently ratchet it up by 0.5% or 1% in successive budgets. Taxing something that isn't yet taxed is the 'visible' bit that people notice.

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Originally posted by dynamicsaxcontractor View Post
    What's good about it? Example 6 states the £5000 allowance will be used against basic rate and not higher rate, so unless you are taking a salary all the way up to the higher rate you will get minimum use of it - you save £375 compared to if the £5000 allowance wasn't there whilst if you use it in the higher bracket you save £1625.
    At least we have confirmation that it comes on top of the personal allowance, rather than overlapping it.

Leave a comment:

• dynamicsaxcontractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Danglekt View Post
    I'm not sure why I consider it "good news" - but I do.
    What's good about it? Example 6 states the £5000 allowance will be used against basic rate and not higher rate, so unless you are taking a salary all the way up to the higher rate you will get minimum use of it - you save £375 compared to if the £5000 allowance wasn't there whilst if you use it in the higher bracket you save £1625.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by Danglekt View Post
    I suppose at least it sets out things clearly

Leave a comment:

• Danglekt
    replied

Leave a comment:

• HMRC fact sheet on new dividend allowance

Here: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ance-factsheet

Just come through on RSS feed - apologies if it's a KUATB

Working...
X