• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Which CMS ?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Which CMS ?"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    If you're sticking with WP, it's worth installing:
    • Sucuri Security - SiteCheck Malware Scanner
    • Exploit scanner
    • TimThumb Vulnerability Scanner
    I had a very determined set of attacks on a WP site trying to exploit TimThumb, but fortunately I wasn't using it.

As it happens I changed that site to static HTML around that time and the Wordpress specific attacks kept coming for months afterwards. Someone somewhere had presumably added that site to a list of Wordpress sites as potential attack targets.

Leave a comment:

• Anonymous2012
    replied
    Originally posted by garethevans1986 View Post
    I use Umbraco...it's a .NET CMS, nice to use, nice to develop with and very customisable.

Wordpress is nice but it's full of holes.

GE

Wordpress is nice but it's full of holes. BS then plug them.

Leave a comment:

• Anonymous2012
    replied
    Stick with Wordpress

WordPress is great as you can do so much with it.There are multiple plugs in that you can use,some freeware others you have to pay for.You do not have to know PHP or how to set it up on a Apache Server as it is all clink and point on the web host company C panel. If you want customized programming you can use the inexpensive Indian bid boards to get the programming done cheap.Really cheap and they are very good at it.There are many web hoisting companies. Personally I like i Pages a USA based company.Though on the monthly billing UK Banks charge you one pound for an overseas transaction. Security plugins tools have been mentioned in the thread which is right and you should use them.Use a spam comment plug in as you will get spammed.Use a CAPTCHA challenge as well to get rid of the bots. SEO is so very important for all your sites.Way the best is Yoast .Joost de Valk, developer of many WordPress plugins and an authority on WordPress & website optimization provides SEO tips, WordPress tweaks and more! I would even hire a professional company to do it.The best is in Chester (you can look them up) but they are expensive.

Security>
    WordPress runs on the LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) stack of applications. First you need to install and configure LAMP.Windows is so full of security holes and the Anonymous crew know them all believe me.I only use Lunix and WordPress you can use with it if you know how.

Leave a comment:

• garethevans1986
    replied
    I use Umbraco...it's a .NET CMS, nice to use, nice to develop with and very customisable.

Wordpress is nice but it's full of holes.

GE

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    • Exploit scanner
    Thanks. For the security side, I currently use the following:
    • Better WP Security
    • Wordfence Security
    • Wordpress Firewall 2

Probably need to review so there aren't too many plugins installed, and also ones that overlap functionality.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
    Ahem, just deleted some old themes & unused plugins, thanks. At least I was running the latest wp version and up-to-date on active plugins !
    • Exploit scanner

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    Looks like I'm good to stick with wordpress and look for a new theme. Actually, I've been doing some reading up on the Genesis framework & child themes, so may give that a go next.

And delete what you don't use, like old themes etc. Next big release of WP is due this month or next and there are some BIG changes, so be prepared
    Ahem, just deleted some old themes & unused plugins, thanks. At least I was running the latest wp version and up-to-date on active plugins !

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    So I would say stick with Wordpress if it does the job. Be sure to patch it every time there is an update.
    And delete what you don't use, like old themes etc. Next big release of WP is due this month or next and there are some BIG changes, so be prepared

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    I use CMS quite a lot. These days I am doing Sitecore consulting. But it costs a lot, around 100K to start with.

I have also used DotNetNuke quite a bit, its free and open source.

You can also consider Umbraco but it is lagging behind others.

Both are on the .NET stack and involve a bit of learning curve.

On the LAMP stack I have used Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal, etc etc. I would say Wordpress has kind of trumped them all in terms of usage. Its quick to set up and use and easy to customise. You also get tons of plugins free which make life easy.

So I would say stick with Wordpress if it does the job. Be sure to patch it every time there is an update.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    If it does everything you want / need it to do, why change from Wordpress?

I have four or five different sites using Wordpress, all for pretty different things.

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    started a topic Which CMS ?

Which CMS ?

I'm looking to redesign our company's website (currently using wordpress as the cms). Originally planned just to apply a new wp theme. But then started to consider changing cms.

I started doing some research and now wish I hadn't - many opinions. A bit like trying to sort out a hotel on trip advisor. Thought I'd come to the place where I can get some real world opinions expressed !

As mentioned, current website is wordpress, due to the guy who put it together preferring it (I didn't have a clue about it at the time, but having had to now upgrade/maintain content/optimize SEO, I've been learning). Site has a reasonable number of pages (home, product pages, services pages, news feed, small blog, contact us, etc).

My wife's company has also had a new website recently, and this is using joomla.

I started comparing wordpress & joomla, then drupal got added to the mix. And other random ones - processwire, MODX.

I'm still inclined to stick with wordpress, as I've got to know how to use the cms. But I guess if I chose another one, i'd learn that too. Also, wordpress seems the most SEO friendly. And, I'm not a coder !

I'd welcome opinions please !

Working...
X