• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Even power cables are flipping complicated!"

Collapse

• stek
    replied
    Is it normal to get horny when one talks about male and females leads?

Just askin' like....

Don't think about connecting then, don't think about connecting them.....

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    C14 = Kettle Lead (Normal)
    C13 = Female Kettle Lead

Yes there are a few in the box (2 to be precise).

I am currently sitting next to one of these.

Leave a comment:

• RSoles
    replied
    I think the idea is that the UPS sits close to the pc(s) and daisy-chains into the mains supply,
    so the c14 connects to the existing c13 from the wall and it has a flying c13 to connect to the c14 on the pc.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by RSoles View Post
    Huh? That seems the opposite to what should be required for an input connection. I'm even more confused now

(Thanks BTW)

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Think it's like the opposite end to a kettle lead, like the male to kettle lead female. Think I got them on my remote power switch.
    Ah I wondered if it might be something like that. I presume there will be a few leads in the box. But if not and you're right, I'll need to buy a C14 and an adaptor. Damn, that's tedious - For a start, I haven't yet even managed to find a C14 lead!

(Thanks for your amazingly quick response BTW - I hadn't even finished fixing the links in my post! )

Leave a comment:

• RSoles
    replied
    Ah, like this:-
    APC Power Cord, C14 to BS1363 (UK), 0.6m AP9881

Edit: Oh bugger, didn't spot the link in the above answer, oh well....
    Last edited by RSoles; 14 March 2013, 18:06.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Thinking of buying an APC Smart-UPS 1000VA UPS, and that Amazon page lists, among other things:

Code:
    * Input Connections: IEC-320-C14

* Output Connections: (8) IEC 320 C13, (2) IEC Jumpers
    But the UK power cords page on International Powercords site doesn't list anything of type "C14", despite listing dozens of other cable types (including lots of C13s).

So what on Earth is a C14 cable? Some Yank thing with only two pins?

Also, what is an IEC jumper when it is at home? Should be pleased I can use two of those, or annoyed there aren't more connections?
    Think it's like the opposite end to a kettle lead, like the male to kettle lead female. Think I got them on my remote power switch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_603....2FC14_coupler
    Last edited by stek; 14 March 2013, 18:02.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    started a topic Even power cables are flipping complicated!

Even power cables are flipping complicated!

Thinking of buying an APC Smart-UPS 1000VA UPS, and that Amazon page lists, among other things:

Code:
    * Input Connections: IEC-320-C14

* Output Connections: (8) IEC 320 C13, (2) IEC Jumpers
    But the UK power cords page on International Powercords site doesn't list anything of type "C14", despite listing dozens of other cable types (including lots of C13s).

So what on Earth is a C14 cable? Some Yank thing with only two pins?

Also, what is an IEC jumper when it is at home? Should be pleased I can use two of those, or annoyed there aren't more connections?

Working...
X