• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: IPV6 for hosting

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "IPV6 for hosting"

Collapse

• Spoiler
    replied
    Originally posted by administrator View Post
    Cheers - hadn't thought of doing that route! Even so, until we have everyone on an IPV6 enabled machine then you can't use just IPV6 A records, you will still need to maintain an IPV4 route to the host otherwise you will miss traffic. Or that was the conclusion I came to... Let me know if I am wrong!
    There are technologies that enable IPv4 user to access an IPv6-only site, but I think that's something best avoided for now! Perhaps it would be nice to offer access to a site that is both IPv4 & IPv6 reachable, for those who are starting to run dual stack or use IPv6, especially if it's an IT-focused site. Not sure the demand is high enough yet though for it to be a real requirement.

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
    You don't necessarily have to use the DNS services of the domain registrar; you can manage your DNS zone with another provider and then just change the DNS nameservers with the registrar (from theirs to your new ones).

Example:
    Register domains with 123-reg.
    Host the DNS zones with he.net.
    In the 123-reg control panel, you can edit the DNS nameservers and change them from the 123-reg DNS servers to he.net's DNS servers.

So, if your domain registrar doesn't support AAAA records, see if you can move the DNS zone elsewhere.
    Cheers - hadn't thought of doing that route! Even so, until we have everyone on an IPV6 enabled machine then you can't use just IPV6 A records, you will still need to maintain an IPV4 route to the host otherwise you will miss traffic. Or that was the conclusion I came to... Let me know if I am wrong!

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    Cheers for the reply - was just kind of coming to that conclusion myself! So you need to have an AAAA record to whack your IPV6 address into.

So far:
    123-Reg - Yes AAA record available
    LCN - No presence of AAAA record
    1 and 1 - No presence of AAAA record
    Easily - Yes AAA record available
    Domain Monster - Yes AAA record available
    Daily - Yes AAA record available
    Fasthosts - Yes AAA record available
    GoDaddy - Yes AAA record available

So not a bad amount of them seem prepared.
    You don't necessarily have to use the DNS services of the domain registrar; you can manage your DNS zone with another provider and then just change the DNS nameservers with the registrar (from theirs to your new ones).

Example:
    Register domains with 123-reg.
    Host the DNS zones with he.net.
    In the 123-reg control panel, you can edit the DNS nameservers and change them from the 123-reg DNS servers to he.net's DNS servers.

So, if your domain registrar doesn't support AAAA records, see if you can move the DNS zone elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Ahhhh, that's the downfall Easy to manage at domain level, easy to manage at host level but fukxed at seat level. Bugger

Leave a comment:

• smatty
    replied
    Depends what you mean by "break the internet" Nobody will be able to see your site unless they're on IPv6, are running IPv6 tunnelling or use some kind of v4/v6 gateway like sixxs. There are mapping mechanisms but they're not automatic. According to google it's about 1% of users that are IPv6 capable.

To test it, try to browse to Juniper's IPv6 only site.

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Thanks. I am pretty sure that is it.

2001:1b50:4000:3::58b4:bb19/128

Is basically

2001:1b50:4000:3000:0000:0000:58b4:bb19

The 3 is 3000 and the :: is 0000:0000

The /128 shows that the leading 128 bits are the host id portion of the address. So now all I need to do is get Apache / lighttpd listening on the IPV6 addresses and I should be good to go. Will report back how I get on...

LCN have said they have no plans to put IPV6 in (idiots!) and 1 and 1 have passed the comment on... Nice to see so many others supporting it though.
    The 3 is 0003, not 3000

And yes the :: is 0000:0000

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Doesn't the :: stand for as many zeros as are needed to make it work? I.e. :0000:0000: or whatever is needed?
    Thanks. I am pretty sure that is it.

2001:1b50:4000:3::58b4:bb19/128

Is basically

2001:1b50:4000:3000:0000:0000:58b4:bb19

The 3 is 3000 and the :: is 0000:0000

The /128 shows that the leading 128 bits are the host id portion of the address. So now all I need to do is get Apache / lighttpd listening on the IPV6 addresses and I should be good to go. Will report back how I get on...

LCN have said they have no plans to put IPV6 in (idiots!) and 1 and 1 have passed the comment on... Nice to see so many others supporting it though.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Cheers for the reply - was just kind of coming to that conclusion myself! So you need to have an AAAA record to whack your IPV6 address into.

So far:

So not a bad amount of them seem prepared. Now, one of the recent VPS machines I took out gave me five addresses, the NIC is configured as so (Ubuntu):

iface venet0 inet6 manual
    up ifconfig venet0 add 2001:1b50:4000:3::58b4:bb19/128
    down ifconfig venet0 del 2001:1b50:4000:3::58b4:bb19/128

This is not the full IPV6 from what I can work out... Will shoot them an email to see what I have to stick in the AAAA record for it to work
    Doesn't the :: stand for as many zeros as are needed to make it work? I.e. :0000:0000: or whatever is needed?

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    I didn't think that many ISPs supported IPv6. There is mapping from IPv6 between IPv4 so think you'll be okay.

So far:

So not a bad amount of them seem prepared. Now, one of the recent VPS machines I took out gave me five addresses, the NIC is configured as so (Ubuntu):

iface venet0 inet6 manual
    up ifconfig venet0 add 2001:1b50:4000:3::58b4:bb19/128
    down ifconfig venet0 del 2001:1b50:4000:3::58b4:bb19/128

This is not the full IPV6 from what I can work out... Will shoot them an email to see what I have to stick in the AAAA record for it to work

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    I didn't think that many ISPs supported IPv6. There is mapping from IPv6 between IPv4 so think you'll be okay.

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    started a topic IPV6 for hosting

IPV6 for hosting

Anyone tried it yet? Yes, I have Googled - more than once

I have a new VPS with a good number of IPV6 addresses and I can set DNS records as being IPV6 but will it break the internet if I use it? IPv4 becoming a real pain in the arris...

Working...
X