• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Data mapping tool

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Data mapping tool"

Collapse

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by RasputinDude View Post
    You may want to look at Enterprise Architect - UML tools for software development and modelling - Enterprise Architect UML modeling tool

It's not web enabled, but it will do a lot of what you want for very little cost. The back end is actually an access database which you can query for your own web front end if you want.
    Thanks for sharing Dude. Trial downloaded and exploring - looks like a very useful tool.

Oscar.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I shall have a peruse.
    I would. I think it's the answer you seek. Very impressed so far.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I shall have a peruse.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Ea is very good and if you get it set up properly it will generate documents for you.

Leave a comment:

• RasputinDude
    replied
    Repwhore
    "Contractor!"

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Yup, it's pretty damned good. I've been using it for around six years or so now - it's part of my standard toolkit. It makes rational look like an overpriced amateurish piece of cumbersome junk (in my not humble in the slightest opinion).

<-- Now if you could see your way to the rep button over there
    Repwhore

Leave a comment:

• RasputinDude
    replied
    Yup, it's pretty damned good. I've been using it for around six years or so now - it's part of my standard toolkit. It makes rational look like an overpriced amateurish piece of cumbersome junk (in my not humble in the slightest opinion).

<-- Now if you could see your way to the rep button over there

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    This tool is fantastic!

The corporate edition upwards does centralised repositories using an RDBMS of your choice

Thanks once again

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    You may want to look at Enterprise Architect - UML tools for software development and modelling - Enterprise Architect UML modeling tool

It's not web enabled, but it will do a lot of what you want for very little cost. The back end is actually an access database which you can query for your own web front end if you want.
    Looks good RD! I have downloaded a demo and am looking it over. It's a bit like the full Jumbo Jet when a microlite would do, but then you only have to use the bits you want I spose.

Thanks for giving me a steer.

Leave a comment:

• RasputinDude
    replied

Last edited by RasputinDude; 3 January 2013, 10:11. Reason: Further

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    started a topic Data mapping tool

Data mapping tool

Hi,

I was recently asked by someone about being able to document (by way of reverse engineering) a big ball of mud bundle of processes, java script, database tables and etl processes. I'll give it some thought I said. The more I think about it, the more I think about having a centralised repository of such information. A data mapping tool.

I've written data dictionaries in the past that had shades of mapping to processes but never really explored that avenue in any detail. Given that the current gig I am on could badly use something like this as well I have a need that I can help out two companies with in one fell swoop, but nothing on the market that I can readily google (first 2 pages) meets my needs.

I am loathed to suggest implementing a full MDM plan as neither company would buy that. Rather a fully traversible, web enabled reposititory of data - screen - process -report linkage. Source to target. This could be the baby step both need to set them on the path to rightousness about implementing an MDM.

I remember in the 90s rational were very hot on this stuff, but from an OOP perspective. I am somewhat of an enigma in such regard as I was an OO developer for 15 odd years but always focussed on the data modelling aspects first rather than the top down OO model and then see what the database looks like from that that I have seen kill so many projects.

Is there such a beast? Is there such a beast that is affordable for SMEs? (<10K)

Or have I discovered a niche

Let me know before I get my spanners out and write one.

Ta

Suity

Working...
X