• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Hard drive showing full but only system files found."

Collapse

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Think I sussed it. Found a lot of his data via shared folders. Still convinced there a lot more hidden because the drive is still only showing about 10 gig out of 85 unused.

So, Im going to re format the drive and if anything is lost, he wont remember what!

This drive of 85 gig while small by todays standards, can be an external back up drive afterwards.

Leave a comment:

• Fishface
    replied
    is there any anti-virus on the laptop?

check on google for 'virus definition files' that don't get deleted or over written.

They can get massive - Gb's.

And stuborn to remove.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Try using this on the old hdd to see where the space is being used https://dl.dropbox.com/u/70497718/Treesize.exe so you can work out what files are where
    Hmmm. Its says I dont have admin permissions on the 'old' hard drive to install the file. Anyway to get around this!?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    du -sg /* would work on AIX or some Linux thing if u booted it under Knoppix or summert.

du -sh /* too and try it under subdirs like this...

du -sh /path_chosen/*

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Try using this on the old hdd to see where the space is being used https://dl.dropbox.com/u/70497718/Treesize.exe so you can work out what files are where

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Is it 'dir /a:h' for hidden files?

Leave a comment:

• Hard drive showing full but only system files found.

My son's old lappie, an HP Pavillion dv6000 went tits up years ago. So, its time to chuck it out. But before I do that, I tried to get it to boot up again and failed.

So, I've taken the hard drive out and thought I may be able to save some of his data. I got a USB to SATA lead and have plugged this into my lappie.

His hard drive is showing as disc D, 6 gig free out of 85 gig and disc H, 27meg of 1 gig free. Must admit I thought the lappie had more than 86 gig on the HD but there you go!

Now, when I have a looksee in D & H, all I can see are system files. I cant see \ find any pictures, music or other docs I know he has on here.

Why cant I see these, if the HD is nearly full, I cant believe its nearly full of system files and nothing else?

Is there any dark secrets I can use to show any files that arent being displayed ie not hidden system files?

The HD used Win XP, my lappie has Vista on it so would have thought I'd be able to see jpeg, music files and word docs.

Working...
X