• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Spreadsheet Light, anybody used?"

Collapse

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    What are you trying to achieve? Data output or replacing sheets with VBA in them?
    I'm currently using excel for managing a projects H&S file and O&M manuals. What I was originally looking for was a data management/retrieval system that would allow access in all of the most common OS’s Windows, Mac Linux, basically whatever OS the engineers could be using on their laptops. And it needed to be easy to manage (Updating As-built drawings, files and manuals etc). Capable of loading and operating/running from external media like USB Flash drives, Memory cards, DVD’s & Cd’s.
    It does require the files to be loaded to the external media along with the hyperlinked file index, but is easy to carry/transport several gigabytes of files on one DVD. Or USB Stick.
    Files are mostly .dwg - .pdf - .doc and shape files with the (current) excel indexes hyperlinked to each relevant file. Currently using DVD's containing the files and indexes that the engineers carry with them.

Split across 6 separate indexes and packages
    Size: 25.0 GB (25,771,725,413 bytes)
    Contains: 14,464 files. 1,275 folders (all hyperlinked in excel with file sizes and content description)
    Total Documents & Drawings: Approximately 51,000+ (Multiple drawings & Documents in some files)

I also need to easily be able to carry out global changes of Hyperlinks (folder names). The current file volume is set to double by September. and life of the file system is at least 20 years, probably 25+ and needs to be maintained with changes as I stated above.

Note of interest. the hard copies of these files were transported recently by road and took 2 removal trucks.
    I think you get the general idea

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    What are you trying to achieve? Data output or replacing sheets with VBA in them?

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    started a topic Spreadsheet Light, anybody used?

Spreadsheet Light, anybody used?

Anybody using or used Spreadsheet light and what did they think of it. I'm looking for something a little easier/simpler to use and maintain after I leave a project.

Finally, no more horrible spreadsheet code! | Polymath Programmer

They do a full refund if not satisfied but would rather not waste the time reviewing myself

so any reviews/comments welcome.

Working...
X