• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Excel, need more columns"

Collapse

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Here's where Excel's sheet model should be replaced with a relational database and something custom...

It's a spreadsheet, not a supercomputer.

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    Originally posted by Boolean
    You can always use multiple worksheets in the same workbook.
    Thats what I did

Leave a comment:

• Boolean
    replied
    You can always use multiple worksheets in the same workbook.

I can't remember what the limit is for worksheets in a workbook, but you can definately have over 100. So 100x256 gives you potentially 25600 distinct columns!?

VBA can be used to link the information, if using spreedsheet techniques aren't enough for your analysis.

Edited to say: I was too late posting a reply and you have the solution!!!!

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse
    Apparently the next version of Excel (2007) will have 16000 columns and 1 million rows....if you can wait....
    It would be 2220 befor the customer gets to having that

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    What are you doing that means you need more than 256 columns?

Should it be in a database instead?
    It's just a simple piece of analysis on some data extracted from a Mainframe DB (NOT SQL based). I cant perform this manipulation using tools available, I could write a program but this would be quite complex, take several days to write and several months to be allowed to run on the production system.

I've got the results I want with just over a days effort, which aint too bad.

I'm there now, thanks all

MG

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Apparently the next version of Excel (2007) will have 16000 columns and 1 million rows....if you can wait....

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    What are you doing that means you need more than 256 columns?

Should it be in a database instead?

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    maybe I'll try and put OpenOffice on the client PC

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    The maximum number of columns in Excel is 256.

Lots of people want to do a spreadsheet with day of the year along the top. No chance.

Has been this way since year dot, even though all the competitors have supported 1000's of columns years ago.

Just shows you that you don't have to write good software to make money, just stick a Microsoft badge on it.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by MrsGoof
    I'm using Excel to do some analysis on data. Unfortunately I've run out of columns, they only goes upto 'IV'.

Can I change this anywhere, or will I have to resort to multiple workbooks.

TIA

MG
    For serious data analysis you probably want SPSS or
    Maple as Excel is a quite limited (as you're finding out)

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    started a topic Excel, need more columns

Excel, need more columns

I'm using Excel to do some analysis on data. Unfortunately I've run out of columns, they only goes upto 'IV'.

Can I change this anywhere, or will I have to resort to multiple workbooks.

TIA

MG

Working...
X