• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Reg Exp Question

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Reg Exp Question"

Collapse

• mudskipper
    replied

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I put off learning this stuff for 20 years in IT, but recently was forced to for a gig. It's actually pretty clever.

This I found very helpful:

Regular Expressions Reference - Basic Syntax

Is it a string in Java? I.e. do you mean: "\\d{9}"?

Failing that, I've always found it's better to make it match the start and end:

^\d{9}$

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Java server faces code, validateRegExpr tag

[0-9]{9} looks promising, cheers.

I look at reg exp about once a year and always spend 10 minutes trying to get my head round it.
    Same with me. Have read tons of stuff to make myself an expert at it but still cannot get my head around it at times. It really is the work of devil.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    Where are you evaluating your regexp?
    In any case did you try [0-9]{9} or even [0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9] ?
    Java server faces code, validateRegExpr tag

[0-9]{9} looks promising, cheers.

I look at reg exp about once a year and always spend 10 minutes trying to get my head round it.

Leave a comment:

• yasockie
    replied
    Where are you evaluating your regexp?
    In any case did you try [0-9]{9} or even [0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9] ?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    started a topic Reg Exp Question

Reg Exp Question

I can never work this stuff out.

I am looking for a reg exp that only takes 9 numbers, what I have just now is "\d{9}" and it is letting . - and spaces through.

Anyone know a expression that suits?

Cheers.

Working...
X