• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Best Virtualisation Software?"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    There's currently an offer on VMware Workstation 7:

VMware Workstation 7.1 at 20% Off - Limited Time Offer: 115.00 GBP, 151.00 USD, 122,00 Euro

Could this mean a new version is around the corner?

Leave a comment:

• dangly
    replied
    +1 for VirtualBox, even though it has been brought into the Evil Empire.

I use it pretty much every day, all day long for my windows development env. and its rock solid. Currently running version 4.

I tried VMWare's free offerings back in the day which were good, but there product set kept changing so much, I never knew which version to use.

Gave up using MS Virtual PC on day 1.

D.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    at $189.00 it almost is free.

I have been using the free version of VMWare (VMWare Player) so far.
    Is there much of a difference between that and work station?
    I've had a play with VMware Player and the Unity function is well sexy - you can put client apps onto the host desktop, access the client Start menu from the host etc.

I'm going to go for the Workstation version.

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    I always thought zVM was the best virtualisation software

Though you do need a Mainframe to run it.....

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post

Aye, at that price I'm tempted.

Not an official guide, but What is the difference between Workstation, Player and Server?

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Another vote for VMWARE Workstation. I'm not an "intensive" user but I don't mind paying for decent software that's rock solid.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Netraider View Post
    What Doodab said.

I've been using VmWare since 2004ish.
    Another vote for VMWARE Workstation. I'm not an "intensive" user but I don't mind paying for decent software that's rock solid.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    As for Windows 7 clients, I have a feeling VMWare had cracked the problem of getting Aero to work, but I don't think Virtual Box has.

Also you'll want to check that you can run 64-bit guests on a 32-bit host (assuming you have XP 32).

I have a build VM, and use it to test installs against a clean OS, but nothing really heavyweight. I find the performance for things like builds is virtually as good as on the host, but anything graphical is very clunky. I couldn't imagine wanting to use a web browser on a VM for example.
    I wouldn't call the graphics clunky except for things like Freecell, which warns you on starting that it can't see any hardware acceleration. For doing installs it's faster than a physical machine because I can point it at an ISO on disk and there isn't all that mucking around the BIOS does on startup.

Web browsing is fine here, and I can watch most Youtube stuff comfortably from within a W7 client. Not full screen though.

And graphics is better with a Windows host because with a Linux host I am using generic drivers rather than the manufacturer supplied ones. If I were a games buff I'd get a better video card anyway, and choose one which is better supported on Linux.
    Last edited by Sysman; 4 March 2011, 12:04.

Leave a comment:

• Netraider
    replied
    What Doodab said.

I've been using VmWare since 2004ish.

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Yes, it works for windows and linux VMs, although you need to install vmware tools in the VM.

Can't comment on USB 3 as I don't have it.
    cool, thanks for you advice on this - am definitely leaning towards workstation now.

cheers

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
    does the unity mode work for windows wms? if so this ticks all the boxes for me. ill check this out and virtualbox as I'd be happy paying what I think works out to £116 - it's that kind of application you don't mind paying for

one thing that occurs to me is that I've only got a 500GB hard drive in my new laptop as it didn't occur to me to go any larger so it may be that I have to run the snapshots from that whilst storing them on my external usb drive, what's the speed over usb 3.0 like?
    Yes, it works for windows and linux VMs, although you need to install vmware tools in the VM.

Can't comment on USB 3 as I don't have it.

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I use VMWare workstation, have done since v5. I haven't tried the alternatives because it hasn't given me any reason to.

I've had no problem hosting 64 bit guests on 32 bit XP in the past, and on my current (win7 x64, 8GB RAM, dual core) laptop I run windows 7, windows server 2003 & 2008, several flavours of linux and solaris x86, and the performance is on a par with a standard physical computer when running from an eSATA external drive. Over USB it can be a bit more sluggish but still usable. At the moment I have an Ubuntu 10.04 VM on the SSD in my laptop that I use as a development environment and it's great, especially in unity mode where it merges the apps in the VM into the start menu and the windows appear on your host desktop.

As regards moving and archiving VMs, just shut them down and copy the files. If you have mulitple machines built from a template they need to be able to find the template but that is all there is to it.

The only downside is that it costs money and a lot of the alternatives are free. Personally, that doesn't bother me, I think it's one of the best value bits of software I've ever bought.
    does the unity mode work for windows wms? if so this ticks all the boxes for me. ill check this out and virtualbox as I'd be happy paying what I think works out to £116 - it's that kind of application you don't mind paying for

one thing that occurs to me is that I've only got a 500GB hard drive in my new laptop as it didn't occur to me to go any larger so it may be that I have to run the snapshots from that whilst storing them on my external usb drive, what's the speed over usb 3.0 like?

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    As for Windows 7 clients, I have a feeling VMWare had cracked the problem of getting Aero to work, but I don't think Virtual Box has.

Also you'll want to check that you can run 64-bit guests on a 32-bit host (assuming you have XP 32).

I have a build VM, and use it to test installs against a clean OS, but nothing really heavyweight. I find the performance for things like builds is virtually as good as on the host, but anything graphical is very clunky. I couldn't imagine wanting to use a web browser on a VM for example.
    it is primarily for installing a number of different configurations of a number of apps into various operating systems so I wont be too bothered by performance but will definitely need the vmware to be easy to use and stable, installing and configuring apps isn't much fun at the best of times

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    As far as could divine, you can't get hold of VirtualPC any more unless you have Windows 7 Professional or above. The download procedure takes you through a validation process to make sure you have a legit copy of Win7 Pro or above.

If you do download VirtualPC, then you can also download a virtual disk containing XP (which runs under Win7 VirtualPC) and it's covered by your Windows 7 license.

I tried VirtualPC and pretty quickly decided I preferred VirtualBox. The Personal User Evaluation License (PUEL) version comes with Guest Additions, which allow you to share folders with the host, move your mouse freely in and out of clients, and copy/paste between host and clients.
    i will have a look at virtual box but it sounds a bit unstable, being able to move effortlessly in and out of the vm would be a definite plus though

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I use VMWare workstation, have done since v5. I haven't tried the alternatives because it hasn't given me any reason to.

I've had no problem hosting 64 bit guests on 32 bit XP in the past, and on my current (win7 x64, 8GB RAM, dual core) laptop I run windows 7, windows server 2003 & 2008, several flavours of linux and solaris x86, and the performance is on a par with a standard physical computer when running from an eSATA external drive. Over USB it can be a bit more sluggish but still usable. At the moment I have an Ubuntu 10.04 VM on the SSD in my laptop that I use as a development environment and it's great, especially in unity mode where it merges the apps in the VM into the start menu and the windows appear on your host desktop.

As regards moving and archiving VMs, just shut them down and copy the files. If you have mulitple machines built from a template they need to be able to find the template but that is all there is to it.

The only downside is that it costs money and a lot of the alternatives are free. Personally, that doesn't bother me, I think it's one of the best value bits of software I've ever bought.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X