• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Transferring programmes from Sky+ box ---> laptop"

Collapse

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Oops, should probably have mentioned that

I just used a spare RCA cable I had kicking around and plugged it into a scart switching box I use for the TV.
    No worries.

I have some spare RCA cables I can use and will buy an appropriate S-Video cable tomorrow.

However, now Windows Move Maker is claiming my video card does not support Direct X 9 which is strange as I am running Direct X 10!

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Hey Stu

So, received my EasyCAP and a bit of a problem...

The connectors are all female whereas I needed them to be male so they could connect directly to the Sky+ box. Therefore, I will need to use male -> female cables in between.

Was this the case for you?
    Oops, should probably have mentioned that

I just used a spare RCA cable I had kicking around and plugged it into a scart switching box I use for the TV.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Post up if you have any problems
    Hey Stu

So, received my EasyCAP and a bit of a problem...

The connectors are all female whereas I needed them to be male so they could connect directly to the Sky+ box. Therefore, I will need to use male -> female cables in between.

Was this the case for you?

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Forgot to ask - the black lead is an S-Video connector, right?
    (The picture isn't very clear).
    Indeed it is

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Forgot to ask - the black lead is an S-Video connector, right?
    (The picture isn't very clear).

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Appreciate the info Stu.

Ordered one - no harm in having a play for that kind of money.

Hope it comes through in time for the w/end.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Saving as WMV, but the capture stick thing also comes with Ulead Video Studio, which would appear to capture in MP4. In WMV at decent 640x480 quality it seems to average out at about 8-10 megabytes per minute.

HTH
    Appreciate the info Stu.

Ordered one - no harm in having a play for that kind of money.

Hope it comes through in time for the w/end.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Not in this instance but not a bad thought.

Are you saving to MPEG4 format? What is the picture quality like? How big is the file for say an hour long programme?
    Saving as WMV, but the capture stick thing also comes with Ulead Video Studio, which would appear to capture in MP4. In WMV at decent 640x480 quality it seems to average out at about 8-10 megabytes per minute.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Is it not just easier to download the file as a torrent just after it's been broadcast?
    Not in this instance but not a bad thought.

I've got one of these and just use Windows Movie Maker, it's an absolute doddle
    Are you saving to MPEG4 format? What is the picture quality like? How big is the file for say an hour long programme?

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    I've got one of these and just use Windows Movie Maker, it's an absolute doddle

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Is it not just easier to download the file as a torrent just after it's been broadcast?

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    started a topic Transferring programmes from Sky+ box ---> laptop

Transferring programmes from Sky+ box ---> laptop

I have a recording on my Sky+ box that I would like to copy onto my laptop.

After a brief Google, I understand I will need a PCMCIA TV capture card (something like this?) which will enable me to play the output from my Sky+ box onto my laptop via a cable connected to the TV capture card.

Thereafter, do I need some additional software on my laptop to enable me to record the programme onto my HDD?

If so, does anyone have any recommendations or can advise what is the best format to save the file? Would it be MPEG4?

The ultimate aim would be to transfer the content from my Sky+ box to PC and then onto my HTC phone for viewing later.

I don't really want to spend too much money on this as I just want to have a 'play' with the kit I currently have as I am looking to (finally) upgrade later in the year - post Windows 7.

(My laptop is several years old but runs Vista fine and has 2Gb RAM).

Working...
X