• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Router compatability"

Collapse

• DaveP
    replied
    Ended up buying a

Netgear WNR854T Rangemax NEXT cable/DSL Router

from ebay at £31

thanks all

Leave a comment:

• darenmatthews
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    It should work but appears to have no GigaBit switch - 100 Mbits is soooo yesterday, if you are planning to shift any big files the difference will be very apparent.
    Doesn't ntl:Telewest / Virgin business broadband max out at 20Mbps? So unless you are shifting big files between wired PCs inside your LAN, 100Mbps should be sufficient. The bottleneck is the WAN link.

WRT wireless, 802.11g (54Mbps) the actual throughput is approx. 22Mpbs (i.e. data, not data and payload) so again, 100Mbps would be sufficient. If you have two or more wireless PC's they share the RF bandwidth (one at a time - half-duplex). If the router supports 802.11b and g (11 and 54Mbps) and one PC uses 11b and the other 11g, then the throughput of 11g ireduces even further. This is the case for ALL wireless routers/access points supporting those standards.

I did notice that the router only allows dyndns.org for Dynamic DNS configuration, but that may not be a problem for you.

Regarding the WAN:
    I know that with a DrayTek router, on NTL cable, you will need to release the PC's MAC address from your modem before the model will recognise a different address (for your router).

To do this, in Windows, make sure the modem is connected directly to your PC and working. Then use either winipcfg.exe (press the 'Release All' button) or use ' ipconfig.exe /release ' from the MSDOS prompt.

Hope this helps

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
    That'll be the double vision then - try these glasses:
    Shades.

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    And you are right, good thing I said "seems"...
    That'll be the double vision then - try these glasses:

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
    I believe it has 4 LAN ports.
    And you are right, good thing I said "seems"...

IGMC.

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    That router seems to have 8 ports...
    I believe it has 4 LAN ports.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveP View Post
    I'm more interested in wireless connection from router to laptop.
    Oh, in this case it does not matter - gigabit indeed applies to wired connections. That router seems to have 8 ports, if you don't need so many wired connections or at all you might be getting better deal by getting smaller router.

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Not sure what the gigabit feature is, could you explain.

from what I have gathered gigabit connection only applies to a wired connect from router to a pc.

You're correct - gigabit connectivity only applies to devices that are connected to the router via a network cable.

Leave a comment:

• DaveP
    replied
    ATW,

Not sure what the gigabit feature is, could you explain.

from what I have gathered gigabit connection only applies to a wired connect from router to a pc.

cheers

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    It should work but appears to have no GigaBit switch - 100 Mbits is soooo yesterday, if you are planning to shift any big files the difference will be very apparent.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Hi I am thinking of buying the following router,

Netgear WNDR3300 before I do I wanted to ask if anybody has had any problems using it with NTL/Telewest business broadband.
    I was on NTL, now Virgin
    Been using a belkin cable modem router for 2 years now with zero problems.

Leave a comment:

• DaveP
    started a topic Router compatability

Router compatability

Hi I am thinking of buying the following router,

Netgear WNDR3300 before I do I wanted to ask if anybody has had any problems using it with NTL/Telewest business broadband.

Working...
X