• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Using iPlayer Overseas"

Collapse

• chef
    replied
    I've been looking into this aswell as German tv is complete tulipe. From what I can gather, reports are that a minimum of 50kbps is required for it to be watchable. Other reports say if you can watch a youtube video without it stuttering then slingbox should be fine. I can't find any official documentation of this though, it's more just heresay on various forums.

When AFH I'm using a vodafone mobile connect usb dongle in a heavily built up area and surrounded by thick german walls, I get bbc iplayer (via home vpn) download of around 60kbps, I'm planning on buying a Slingbox in 10 days when i'm next home and will give an update on speed shortly thereafter.

Chef

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Use a slingbox here - works fine - the last hotel I stayed at was the sofitel, the network speed was way faster than at home.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    I thought of getting a slingbox - does anybody how much bandwidth do they need? I think my net connection at home will be fine but I'm not sure of the speed and bandwidth available at the cr@ppy hotel I'm staying at.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by rwmail View Post
    Yes set up a VPN server on your UK computer and connect to it when you are abroad. You can find all the setup details here:
    http://www.consult-here.com/BBC.html
    including how to pay!

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    Just get a slingbox.

http://www.slingmedia.com/

Then you can watch anything you can watch at home (sky, footie, bbc, etc etc)

Leave a comment:

• Gunner1947
    replied
    Therefore, assuming you have a system and an Internet connection running at home, one approach would be to use that system as a proxy through which to tunnel the connection.

Thanks for the above Nick, appreciated, looks like that could be the way to go for my lads. We are presently stationed in Canada working with the Canadian Forces until the end of 2009 with just a few weeks leave now and again.

Not sure how we'd link to our computers in the UK, so if you could drop me a PVT message I'd appreciate it. It would really help morale if we can keep up with UK TV while we are away from home.

Leave a comment:

• rwmail
    replied
    Originally posted by larry View Post
    When attemping to use BBC's iPlayer overseas, it's only available to those within the UK - a licence payer issue, I guess. But even if you pay for a licence here in the UK you should be able to watch UK telly in Europe.

Any way I can 'fool' the browser/PC to think I'm still in the UK?
    Yes set up a VPN server on your UK computer and connect to it when you are abroad. You can find all the setup details here:
    http://www.consult-here.com/BBC.html

Leave a comment:

• larry
    replied
    Thanks for the info. I'll get some mates in various countries to try it out.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    EDIT: FWIW I know for a fact that certain UK broadcasters (explicitly not the BBC) have been required to implement such geographical controls over their streams by the Performing Rights Society - this was against their wishes, and such controls had to be implemented at their own expense. Apparently the PRS likes to impose rules, but chooses not to pay for the imposition thereof
    I got moaned at by the PRS. I hold a PRS licence to allow my daughter to use some music in a public performance. She put a video of it up on you tube. The most recent comment was from the PRS.... (What I couldn't work out was whether we were actually under the terms of the license we agreed since that allowed public broadcast).

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    I haven't tried it myself, but apparently this works:
    1. Sign up for the service and get it working while you are in the UK.
    2. Use a UK based proxy when you are abroad
    exactly what i did using the proxy i listed earlier, works fine for me

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    I haven't tried it myself, but apparently this works:
    1. Sign up for the service and get it working while you are in the UK.
    2. Use a UK based proxy when you are abroad

Reading between the lines, they do more stringent checks during the signup process than for normal playing (i.e. they possibly check against a list of UK based public proxies during the signup process, but not for normal use).

This effectively means that a UK TV licence payer doing stints abroad can use the service, but it keeps out the rabble from the rest of the world.
    Last edited by Sysman; 15 September 2008, 17:26.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    But even if you pay for a licence here in the UK you should be able to watch UK telly in Europe.
    I don't think that's true. Licensing has conditions, and restricting use to the UK is probaby one of them.

Though as it happens, you don't need a TV licence for iplayer anyway because it's not live.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    Find a public proxy server in the uk and point your browser to it.
    try

port 8080
    Last edited by chef; 14 September 2008, 17:28.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    When attemping to use BBC's iPlayer overseas, it's only available to those within the UK - a licence payer issue, I guess. But even if you pay for a licence here in the UK you should be able to watch UK telly in Europe.

Any way I can 'fool' the browser/PC to think I'm still in the UK?
    Find a public proxy server in the uk and point your browser to it.

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied
    Lease a virtual machine from a UK based company and run a proxy on it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X