• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Extracting data from dead Toshiba"

Collapse

• blacjac
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    A Maplin catalogue?

I've been into Maplin in Cambridge today, they say the new catalogue isn't out until September... Hmmmm....?????????
    Wasn't a full catalog, it was a summer deals catalog they stuffed in with the Optical Audio cable I ordered at the weekend .

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by blacjac View Post
    Funnily enough when I got home this evening there was a Maplin catalog waiting for me containing this....

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...%20usb&doy=7m8
    A Maplin catalogue?

I've been into Maplin in Cambridge today, they say the new catalogue isn't out until September... Hmmmm....?????????

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Funnily enough when I got home this evening there was a Maplin catalog waiting for me containing this....

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...%20usb&doy=7m8

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    I did also read somewhere that you have to set the jumpers on the drive to 'master'.
    If it's the only drive in the machine then the jumpers will already be set to Master. Only if it's an additional drive will they be set to Slave.

It's likely you'll need to set the jumpers to Slave if you want to use it as a second drive.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    I have a toshiba laptop and recently upgraded my hard drive to a bigger one. The 100 gb one it had is now in an external hard drive case and I use it for backups etc. They are a doddle to get out of the computer and easy to fit into the case. Do it yourself. It takes about 2 mins to do.

Try one of these

http://www.advancetec.co.uk/cgi-bin/...08071#a0808071
    Last edited by BoredBloke; 7 August 2008, 13:56.

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    yep, the connectors are built in to the caddy, the one I bought came with everything you need (even a mini screwdriver).
    Just plugged the hard drive in, screwed it down and away I went.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by blacjac View Post
    Will that one power it though?

Or is it just a USB adapter?

(at 2 year old I would guess SATA)
    It comes with a power cable.
    She'll check to see if it's SATA or IDE. Then she'll know what caddy to buy. I take it (never having seen one of those before) that you slot the drive into the connectors inside the caddy, which acts as a usb adaptor in itself, and then all you need are the USB cables? Did that SATA caddy come with all the cables you needed?

I did also read somewhere that you have to set the jumpers on the drive to 'master'.

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Will that one power it though?

Or is it just a USB adapter?

(at 2 year old I would guess SATA)

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    I've said it's quite likely that this one will do the trick - but asked her to double-check and let me know what the drive is. Toshiba in question was, and I quote: "only about 2 years old, bought it in the States for about $2k, had speakers at the front either side of the trackpad".

Leave a comment:

• Dante
    replied
    The only thing to check is what type of interface the drive has - have a look at it to see whether it is IDE (loads of pins - well, 40) or SATA (a single 'L' shaped connector) - and buy the appropriate USB adaptor.

If it's an old Tosh - it's 90% likely to be IDE.

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Cheers all - v helpful.

Is it likely to be a standard 2.5" drive, and will it effectively become a plug & play drive powered by the USB cable? I think that's the way to go if so.
    This is the one I got. Powered of USB ports on another laptop fine (takes up 2 ports on the lappy though).
    Plug And play
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/143545

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Cheers all - v helpful.

Is it likely to be a standard 2.5" drive, and will it effectively become a plug & play drive powered by the USB cable? I think that's the way to go if so.
    Aye, basically.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Cheers all - v helpful.

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    I had exactly the same problem with my folks Toshiba laptop.

The hard drives are really easy to get out and I bought an external hard drive case from ebuyer for a fiver

Leave a comment:

• Dante
    replied
    Assuming she has a new machine to copy the data to, she could buy an IDE/SATA to USB converter from Maplins and simply copy the data from the old disk to new...

If she wanted an exact clone of the old hard disk (doubtful as it wouldn't be bootable in her new machine) she could use a ghost boot disk to do a complete disk/partition copy using the same cable as above.

Failing that she can ask to stand next to the PC Repairman when he does the work (!) and make sure she takes everything wither when she leaves and ensures that the data isn't stored anywhere locally at the shop.

she'll more than likely lose the encryption during the copy process anyway depending on how they do it...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X