• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Firefox 3 Stopped working"

Collapse

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    Excellent RC, I was having loads of problems with my laptop last night, but the Vista desktop was fine.
    Originally posted by Badger View Post
    Nice job Richy C. That was the problem
    Extremely glad to have been of help.

Just wondering though, if as administrator said I actually need ZA. The router I've got from SKY (Netgear DG834GT) has a built in Firewall, so I'll play around with th router and may not switch ZA back on at all.
    Tis often said a hardware firewall is better than a software firewall, and two firewalls is unnecessary.

Aside: Do you people never sleep??
    Sleep? Nah. I might miss something.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Maybe. Out of interest whats the Vista equivalent of XP Pro?
    Vista ultimate 64 bit

There's a 32 bit ultimate as well
    Last edited by Diver; 10 July 2008, 16:58.

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    Time to upgrade Shirley
    Maybe. Out of interest whats the Vista equivalent of XP Pro?

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    Originally posted by administrator View Post
    This version has a built in Firewall. I have used netgear routers for years and can confirm you do not need to run individual software firewalls on individual PCs if you are using this as your method of connection. I know belt and braces is sometimes a good approach but not with firewalls. I used to use Zone Alarm when first had ADSL at home with a USB modem connected to one PC and hated using it then. Horrible piece of software IMO - like most "internet safety" software it relies on people's ignorance and paranoia to stay in business. Rant over.
    There's a significant performance improvement when I switch ZA off. I've downloaded the ZA fix but will remove it from my startup and see what happens!

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Update: ZoneAlarm has been fixed, Linky
    loss of internet access for ZoneAlarm users on Windows XP/2000. Windows Vista users are not affected.
    Time to upgrade Shirley

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    Update: ZoneAlarm has been fixed, Linky

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied

Just wondering though, if as administrator said I actually need ZA. The router I've got from SKY (Netgear DG834GT) has a built in Firewall, so I'll play around with th router and may not switch ZA back on at all.

This version has a built in Firewall. I have used netgear routers for years and can confirm you do not need to run individual software firewalls on individual PCs if you are using this as your method of connection. I know belt and braces is sometimes a good approach but not with firewalls. I used to use Zone Alarm when first had ADSL at home with a USB modem connected to one PC and hated using it then. Horrible piece of software IMO - like most "internet safety" software it relies on people's ignorance and paranoia to stay in business. Rant over.

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Looks like ZoneAlarm has stopped working scine the last round of windows updates.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7499260.stm

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    Good point, well made.

BTW thanks for the help Diver.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied

Only during working hours

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Hmm! never crossed my mind that Microshaft might screw everyone up

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Does this help: Windows update leads to web black-out

I noticed this story in the newspaper I was shoving down my coat to keep me warm here in the gutter:

"Hundreds of thousands of people who use the ZoneAlarm firewall to protect their PC have been locked out of the internet by Microsoft's latest round of software updates. Microsoft released four high-priority fixes as part of its regular Patch Tuesday update, one of which left ZoneAlarm users without web access."

"Zonelabs posted this advice: "Sudden loss of internet access: Microsoft Update KB951748 is known to cause loss of internet access for ZoneAlarm users. We recommend that users uninstall KB951748 using "Add or Remove Programs" until the issue is resolved.""
    Excellent RC, I was having loads of problems with my laptop last night, but the Vista desktop was fine.

Looks like a job for this evening along with training, PVa'ing walls etc..

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Yeah I was about to say the above. The latest internet security patch was released on the 8th so if you have auto updates then that is the error.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Does this help: Windows update leads to web black-out

I noticed this story in the newspaper I was shoving down my coat to keep me warm here in the gutter:

"Hundreds of thousands of people who use the ZoneAlarm firewall to protect their PC have been locked out of the internet by Microsoft's latest round of software updates. Microsoft released four high-priority fixes as part of its regular Patch Tuesday update, one of which left ZoneAlarm users without web access."

"Zonelabs posted this advice: "Sudden loss of internet access: Microsoft Update KB951748 is known to cause loss of internet access for ZoneAlarm users. We recommend that users uninstall KB951748 using "Add or Remove Programs" until the issue is resolved.""
    Yep, happened to me. Took me a while to figure it out as the Linux boxes were all connecting but Windoze wasn't.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X