• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Works laptop for home internet access...."

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Something tells me that this thread is going to rock on......
    "rock on" - is this a permie term? can anyone translate to English for me?

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    How do you thread a rock?

Leave a comment:

• JoJoGabor
    replied
    Teehee, yeah try not to mess the config up too much as I bet your IT dept wont be too happy when they have to undo your changes when you get your laptop back to the office!! If you need that feature - ask them, they are the pros!!

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Something tells me that this thread is going to rock on......

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by blacjac View Post
    Is it a new cleaning product that gets pee off shoes?
    Nothing to do with polyester ties then?

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    What is a CD thread.

Is it a new cleaning product that gets pee off shoes?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by blacjac View Post
    'How do I put a CD into the computer?' thread
    What is a CD thread.

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    'How do I put a CD into the computer?' thread

Leave a comment:

• basshead
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

(I'm now waiting for the I can't use linux thread.)
    Its more likely to be a 'How do I boot off a CD' thread

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

(I'm now waiting for the I can't use linux thread.)

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Not comfortable with installing another operating system.

Anyone else any ideas? Tried un-ticking specifying a DNS address to acquire automatically - still no joy. Must be something sooo simple, surely??
    You don't have to install another operating system. It runs from the CD and doesn't even use your hard disk.

Leave a comment:

• Toastiness
    replied
    Wilmsloooooooowwwww !!!

I've been dying to do that. Feel like a real contractor now

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    Okay, I have been unable to untick the use a proxy server box on my so called administrator account, but, was able to do this on the God account, although, STILL unable to access the internet!

Will try installing Firefox / Opera on memory stick and running the internet from this - however, given that the proxy settings changed still disables I do not hold much hope.

Why do firms make access so restricting? I really do not want to lug two laptops about just to gain internet access when working away!!

Any more ideas?
    Oh come ON! you really can't work it out?

Please package your laptop up, hand it back and tell them that you can't be trusted.

/Pet hate; people attempting to bypass the security restrictions that are there for a reason!

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Booting it from the CD won't install it, it will just run it from the CD.....

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Download and burn an Ubuntu Live CD. Boot from it when you're away, problem solved.
    Not comfortable with installing another operating system.

Anyone else any ideas? Tried un-ticking specifying a DNS address to acquire automatically - still no joy. Must be something sooo simple, surely??

Leave a comment:

Working...
X