• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: AV software

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "AV software"

Collapse

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Flubster View Post
    No WiFi. All internet traffic is passed throught the USB thingy which is a mini-processor with all the AV software on it. So in effect, you don't have any AV software running on your laptop, freeing up resources. Unless I've missed the point...
    Interesting, though it's only filtering internet traffic. It wouldn't be able to scan files on your HDD for viruses, or operate an on-access scan on any files used on the PC, which is where traditional anti-virus tends to have a performance hit.

Leave a comment:

• Flubster
    replied
    Concur. Which begs the question, is there an equivalent bit of hardware more suited for the home worker's desktop? I'm not a hardware techie so not sure what to Google for...
    Answered my own question.... Yoggie do this for SOHO...

http://www.yoggie.com/node/30

Leave a comment:

• Flubster
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    What does it actually do? I have a feeling it's meant to be a replacement for a WiFi adapter, so effectively a WiFi adapater with built in firewall. Not a lot of use if you've got a wired ethernet connection.
    No WiFi. All internet traffic is passed throught the USB thingy which is a mini-processor with all the AV software on it. So in effect, you don't have any AV software running on your laptop, freeing up resources. Unless I've missed the point...

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I saw this on TV too and thought it looked the biz. However, the blurb on play.com refers to this working on a laptop.... Any reason why this wouldn't be just as good on a desktop PC? Also, no mention of licensing the software. Is it a one-off fee?
    What does it actually do? I have a feeling it's meant to be a replacement for a WiFi adapter, so effectively a WiFi adapater with built in firewall. Not a lot of use if you've got a wired ethernet connection.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Concur. Which begs the question, is there an equivalent bit of hardware more suited for the home worker's desktop? I'm not a hardware techie so not sure what to Google for...
    Yes. A Mac with parallels desktop

Leave a comment:

• Flubster
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    They seem to be targeting a corporate laptop rather than a home PC, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't use it.

http://www.yoggie.com/how-it-works

Suggests you need a licence for kaspersky something or other (1 year is included in the box).

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    I saw this on TV too and thought it looked the biz. However, the blurb on play.com refers to this working on a laptop.... Any reason why this wouldn't be just as good on a desktop PC? Also, no mention of licensing the software. Is it a one-off fee?
    They seem to be targeting a corporate laptop rather than a home PC, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't use it.

http://www.yoggie.com/how-it-works

Suggests you need a licence for kaspersky something or other (1 year is included in the box).

Leave a comment:

• Flubster
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    There was a PC-on-a-USB device featured on the gadget show the other week that cost about £80 and which apparently isolates the main PC from the Internet.

This one I think
    http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/347683...rity+Appliance

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Precious little chance of that
    yah!!!!

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Just that the majority of viruses out there are designed to target PC's not Macs, so I feel safer.
    You must be praying that Macs never take off in a big way.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    There was a PC-on-a-USB device featured on the gadget show the other week that cost about £80 and which apparently isolates the main PC from the Internet.

This one I think
    http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/347683...rity+Appliance

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    Grisoft AVG & Microshaft Defender firewall seems to keep nasty things at bay for me

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    As for using a Mac - the thing that puts me off is the missionary zeal with which Mac users extol its virtues. They remind me of religious nutjobs and offshore trust users. It is as though they are worried that they are in the wrong so keep needing to reaffirm their position to try and gain some acceptance.
    I thought the same until I bought my first one in November 2006. Now you'll have to pry it out of my cold dead hands...

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    As for using a Mac - the thing that puts me off is the missionary zeal with which Mac users extol its virtues. They remind me of religious nutjobs and offshore trust users. It is as though they are worried that they are in the wrong so keep needing to reaffirm their position to try and gain some acceptance.
    Not at all.

Just that the majority of viruses out there are designed to target PC's not Macs, so I feel safer.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Right, I am now using a trial version of the pay-for version of AVG. I know I am probably an idiot for it, but I feel a lot safer if I am paying for the software than I would if I was using free stuff. So far so good, it does not appear to be taxing the system very much and I quite like the control panel.

My internet use on myCo's laptop is not in the slightest bit risky (I have a different desktop for the, er, more interesting stuff) and I have never had any problems for the a/v software to intercept, so it is not going to be that easy to compare the different packages.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X