• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Vista Service Pack #1"

Collapse

• Gary_Jones
    replied
    PAH, the disk usage thing makes perfect sense, cheers! Was getting worried my SP1 was infected with something horrid as I got it on DVD from a mate at work (can't be sure of it's origin).

The standby thing bugs me, but I can live with it.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary_Jones View Post
    Vista has worked fine since, but I am worried by a massive increase in disk access since it upgraded

I read that's common due to the update resetting the optimisation and indexing, so it has to do it all again.

Originally posted by Gary_Jones View Post
    Also, if I remove or add USB devices while the computer is on "Windows standby" it powers on.
    Mine does that already (not going anywhere near SP1 till it's proved safe), which is handy as I can just switch on the monitor and my PC wakes up, seeing as the monitor also has integrated USB ports.

Leave a comment:

• Gary_Jones
    replied
    I installed it on my Vista 64 machine (which had absolutely no problems before update).

Took 3 reboots and about an hour.

Vista has worked fine since, but I am worried by a massive increase in disk access since it upgraded (my hdd light is almost always on and Task manager shows about 4mb/s constant disk access, with VMWare off). Also, if I remove or add USB devices while the computer is on "Windows standby" it powers on.

Edit: rather than being negative, I should mention the gains :

My computer (x6800 Dual Core, 4gb memory, running 8 virtual machines) now hibernates in seconds and resumes in less than 45 seconds.
    Copying many small files from one partition to another is now fixed and doesn't take 2 weeks
    Last edited by Gary_Jones; 10 April 2008, 13:02.

Leave a comment:

• r0bly0ns
    replied
    According to this link they are still on track to auto install this month, but it has disappeard from my optional install list as well, and I never tried to install it.....

Linky 2

Leave a comment:

• r0bly0ns
    replied
    Withdraw it they have......
    Linky

Hmm, that article seems out of date.... 20th Feb
    Last edited by r0bly0ns; 8 April 2008, 13:27.

Leave a comment:

• Addanc
    replied
    It appears that the Vista SP1 has been withdrawn, since no longer listed as a potential update. What a bunch of ejits.

Leave a comment:

• Addanc
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    Off the top of my head:

Control Panel
    Regional Settings

I think it's the third tab where you get an option to install/uninstall language packs.
    The machine came installed with Windows Vista Home Premium and the uninstall option doesn't appear; windows help indicates that it will only appear if there is a Language Information Pack installed, since I don't see the uninstall option I don't (or something like that).

The Problem Reports and Solutions flags two ProblemEventNames of WindowsWcpAIFailure3 and CbsPackageServicingFailure. The detail of each one is complete unintelligible.

Leave a comment:

• r0bly0ns
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    Didn't know it was out. My laptop hasn't prompted me to download it.
    It won't for about another month.

Till then it's an 'optional' download.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Off the top of my head:

Control Panel
    Regional Settings

I think it's the third tab where you get an option to install/uninstall language packs.

Leave a comment:

• Addanc
    replied
    Cannot see anything in "Programs and Features"
    How do I determine if the language pack is installed?
    If it is how doo I remove it?

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Worked fine for me once I had removed the language packs

It won't offer it up as an install if it believes you have unsupported drivers/components installed.

Leave a comment:

• Addanc
    replied
    All I get is
    Service Pack did not install. Reverting changes.

I'm back to clean install with a modem driver removed (cause Vista complained about it) and it still will not install. What a complete pile of tulipe! Do the donkeys at MicroKnobHeads ever test anything?

Leave a comment:

• ctdctd
    replied
    Installed on a Dell Dimension 9200.
    Needed to uninstall the SigmaTel sound card drivers and use default vista drivers before the Windows Update site gave SP1 as a download option.

It's a known "feature"!
    After that SP1 installed fine - haven't noticed any changes mind you

Leave a comment:

• miffy
    replied
    Done both of my lappies (1 x 32 and 1 x 64).

Nothing broken anyway if thats what you mean.

Battery life has improved a little on both.

Leave a comment:

• KevinS
    replied
    Installed on my laptop (32bit) and on my desktop (64bit).. Took about an hour on each machine, after the download with 1 restart on each machine..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X