• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Postode lookup software"

Collapse

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Black View Post
    Indeed.

Their solution (don't know the cost figures anymore) was simply purchasing a Royal Mail CD containing the info and importing it into a database with a few very simple webservices wrapped round it.
    This is a good option if the client is happy with it. I know of at least one PeopleSoft implementation that does this (needs a little custom work of course)

Leave a comment:

• EvilWeevil
    replied
    I've found the AFD products to be reliable and reasonably priced.

Leave a comment:

• Silkman
    replied
    A good alternative is Capscan. Found to be a better product, better service and more cost effective............worth a try??

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Black View Post
    Indeed.

One of the clients I worked for - someone obviously missed the small print - quite sensibly set about finding an alternative when someone flagged up that, with the number of per seat licenses they required, it was going to cost circa £250k the following year.

Their solution (don't know the cost figures anymore) was simply purchasing a Royal Mail CD containing the info and importing it into a database with a few very simple webservices wrapped round it.
    £250k seems to be a "reasonable" figure for QAS - I've been quoted that on a few projects now.

You can get hold of the national address gazateer which gives you the information, but you get charged per search that you undertake so would need something to audit this. Ordnance Survey provide half the data, Royal Mail do the other half, and I think it's something like 0.5p or 0.25p per search that they charge. Factor that into a big system and it can get quite expensive in itself.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Quick Address Search is the market leader, IIRC.

But VERY expensive.
    Indeed.

One of the clients I worked for - someone obviously missed the small print - quite sensibly set about finding an alternative when someone flagged up that, with the number of per seat licenses they required, it was going to cost circa £250k the following year.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Thanks All

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    On a similar theme to the one mentioned earlier, we moved into our new build last April and it took months to get the postcode recognised.

Very frustrating when you are presented with a web form that won't let you input the address manually.

Thankfully most databases seem to have been updated but I still came across one yesterday that didn't recognise the postcode and that's almost a year later. I guess the cheaper systems are updated less frequently.

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    The best version of it comes from the post office: http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/j...5&catId=400084

They still take a while to update it though and it can have errors in it, but if the errors are here, they will also be in all the other versions re-sold by other companies.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    SOAP webservice

http://services.postcodeanywhere.co.uk/

I use a pay as you go service. You buy lookup credits and each call uses up a credit.

Simple, reliable and from .NET, easy peasy integration (via SOAP).

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    www.postcodeanywhere.com

Used them a few times for various stuff that I've done. They do have SOAP scrips examples and also ones for vba, php, perl etc on the site.

Doesn't matter too much where you get it from as its all from the same source (Royal Mail).

Leave a comment:

• basshead
    replied

But VERY expensive.
    Using QAS here. Works ok.

Also got hold of the AddressPoint layer from Ordnance survey which has all addresses in the UK and their easting/northing, so we're eventually gonna replace QAS with a search based on that.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied

But VERY expensive.
    Reliability and accurate data a lot more important than price at this stage. So thanks for that one, looks like a decent product

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    Make sure you don't force a valid postcode when you do implement it. New builds can be without a postcode for the first few months of their life and if you insist on a valid postcode people in new builds that have not been allocated postcodes yet will have problems. (Seen this before, something that most people don't take into account)
    Whooahhh way to technical... i'm just advising them what to use, its up to the programmers as to how its used
    But good point... i'll make sure i mention it to the dev manager

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied

But VERY expensive.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I'm looking around for some postcode lookup software - i.e. enter a postcode and it gives you the address(es) associated with that postcode.
    Needs to run on windows server 2005
    Needs to be open so it can be invisibly integrated with another application, either through COM, SOAP or similar.

I've googled and found a couple but if anyone has any recommendations i'll be very interested.

Ta!
    Make sure you don't force a valid postcode when you do implement it. New builds can be without a postcode for the first few months of their life and if you insist on a valid postcode people in new builds that have not been allocated postcodes yet will have problems. (Seen this before, something that most people don't take into account)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X