• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Electrical Question"

Collapse

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    H eprobably had a PhD in electrical engineering. He knew what he was doing.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    I had an Indian guy working with me in a UK office once.

He wanted to plug in his Indian charger.

He used a pen to open the earth pin, then jammed in the plug into the extension lead on my desk!

I protested, but got overruled
    It's his Human Right.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    I had an Indian guy working with me in a UK office once.

He wanted to plug in his Indian charger.

He used a pen to open the earth pin, then jammed in the plug into the extension lead on my desk!

I protested, but got overruled

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    I have one of those.

Was in a big box my Grandad left me when he died which also contained a .303 round. Indeed they are a good idea for small appliances but I think the use is ore limited now as most places with power have a socket.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I'm sure I've seen in the past a mains adapter cable, one end has a normal 3-pin socket and the other end is bayonet lamp fitting so you can insert it into a lightbulb socket as the power source. Anyone know if these are still around? I've searched Maplin, ScrewFix etc but can't find one.

Thanks.
    Gawd, that takes me back.

Damp council house with things plugged into the ceiling. Pushing wires directly into the 13A sockets cos we didn't have any spare plugs. No. 6 wood screws instead of fuses. Life was fun back then when we was poor.

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    I'm sure I've seen in the past a mains adapter cable, one end has a normal 3-pin socket and the other end is bayonet lamp fitting so you can insert it into a lightbulb socket as the power source. Anyone know if these are still around? I've searched Maplin, ScrewFix etc but can't find one.
    IIRC, they were removed from the UK market about 30 years ago. They were the cause of too many fires.

(Besides a lack of sockets generally, people were still plugging irons into them in the 1970s because it is far more convenient to have the lead going UP to the ceiling from an iron. Oh, there's a fire under the floorboards upstairs. Oops, my family have died. Oh, there's no earth on my water-filled iron. Oops I have died.)

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    Extremely dangerous if you want my opinion.
    What he said - that's a house fire (and invalidated insurance) waiting to happen.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied

Thanks.
    Extremely dangerous if you want my opinion. people would be tempted to load a 6 amp lighting system (1mm/1.5 mm cable) with 13 amp loads that should be operated from a ring main etc, (min 2.5 mm cable at 16 amp - 32 amp).

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    started a topic Electrical Question

Electrical Question

Thanks.

Working...
X