• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Fitting network cable outside"

Collapse

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    Why not run the cable through a hosepipe to keep the elements off it?
    That sounds fit for this purpose.

I've run CAT5 outside a building and it's been fine. Some extra shielding/insulation would be nice - maybe maplins have something in their cable section at the back of the shop?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
    Yep, we tried that.
    Which standard did you use? Maybe recent N might work - supposedly it is more resistant to interference.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Why not run the cable through a hosepipe to keep the elements off it?

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    Ethernet over Mains - worth going for the fastest kit (200Mbps?) as it is also more stable. Beware of incompatibilities.

However cable is the only choice if you want gigabit ethernet speeds.

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    What about Ethernet Over Mains?

http://www.lordpercy.com/solwise_hom...over_mains.htm

Leave a comment:

• ctdctd
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Use WiFi.
    Yep, we tried that.
    Worked fine at the weekend - 9am Monday morning it dropped out.
    Industrial unit several doors up have several large satellite type dishes on their wall so I reckon they broke it - they might be MI5. Tried different kit and channels and still no good. Back to basics - used a wire!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Use WiFi.

Leave a comment:

• ctdctd
    replied
    I strung a 20 foot length of ordinary CAT5 between two buildings in a rush to get something working for a client. ("We're moving the stores NOW and we need a PC at the other end" sort of day!)

It's been up there above their heads for about 4 years now and still going strong:-) It might even get taken down soon as stores are about to move back!

Leave a comment:

• PerlOfWisdom
    replied
    You could use armoured cat 5

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Best & probably the most aesthetic solution would be:

Externally between floors: run cable in conduit (although Sky + TV aerial do not do this)

Between buildings: dig a trench and run a cable in conduit -depth should be same as stated in regs for power cables

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Of more concern should be induction.

A Client some years ago ran a 20 m cable along the side of their office, and it passed within 10 feet of a metal telegraph pole.

Lightning hit the pole and inducted the 10 feet gap (amazing) to the network cable.

It was all downhill from there...

They were lucky though...the only things that got totalled were 2 pc's and a fax machine.

So be careful running network cables (or any cable for that matter, unless it is heavily shielded I guess) outside.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by EqualOpportunities View Post
    FWIW, you can get external grade cable...

HTH
    That's what I use - modem is in the set top box, and computer is upstairs, so they ran a cable up the outside of the house when it was installed.

Leave a comment:

• EqualOpportunities
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveP View Post
    Q: I am looking at installing a 20 metre network cable, it will be fixed to the outside of a building, therefore exposed to the elements.
    are network cables waterproof & robust enough to go fitted externally ?
    FWIW, you can get external grade cable...

HTH

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Cheap enough to replace when fails, however UTP is not fit for withstanding the elements particularly wildlife, perhaps fitting conduct will be your quickest and is not that expensive.

Leave a comment:

• DaveP
    started a topic Fitting network cable outside

Fitting network cable outside

Q: I am looking at installing a 20 metre network cable, it will be fixed to the outside of a building, therefore exposed to the elements.
    are network cables waterproof & robust enough to go fitted externally ?

Working...
X