• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Oracle SQL

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oracle SQL"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by MobileCheese View Post
    Only thing that is putting me off is I dont like to be 'second choice'
    It suits the England manager (or to be fair, he was third choice).

Take the gig - the first one found something else. They still want you, and you want the gig, so it's a no-brainer really.

Congrats!

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    Second Best? More likely that the first bod was cheaper, but tulip, or something like that. Well done!

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Client came back to me today and said 'the candidate they offered the role to was messing them about so they withdrew the offer (any of you lot ), they asked was I still interested', I said yeah so contract in the bag.

Only thing that is putting me off is I dont like to be 'second choice' as thats how they are going to see me / think about me if I start, not sure now I want it, should I,

1. Shut the **** up and take the gig ?
    2. Not take the gig, being second best is not good ?
    I've been second best once before. It was one of the best gigs I've done...

Leave a comment:

• barely_pointless
    replied
    Client came back to me today and said 'the candidate they offered the role to was messing them about so they withdrew the offer (any of you lot ), they asked was I still interested', I said yeah so contract in the bag.

Only thing that is putting me off is I dont like to be 'second choice' as thats how they are going to see me / think about me if I start, not sure now I want it, should I,

Now is the time to strike oh glasshopper, or mablee a rittle earlier, you should have told them you had another offer of X+10% where X is the original offer that this crowd offered and X+10% is what david carraidine would get paid not to shave his head and wear that redecerous swim cap

Leave a comment:

• MobileCheese
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
    WTF? From your linked article:-

Code:
    SELECT dept.dname,emp.ename,emp.sal
    FROM dept JOIN emp USING(deptno)
    WHERE emp.sal > 1000;
    That's not what I'd call standard sequel either. I'd write it as:-

Code:
    SELECT dept.dname, emp.ename, emp.sal
    FROM dept, emp
    WHERE dept.deptno = emp.deptno
    AND emp.sal > 1000;
    I would write it the second way. However, if you use the ANSI standard, then it immediately becomes clear which part of the WHERE clause is used for data selection and what is used for joining between the tables.

If the client says that the first one is the project standard, then that's how I'd write it. If they don't specify, then I'd write it the second way, since that is the method that I am most familiar with.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post

Code:
    WHERE emp.sal > 1000;

Code:
    FROM dept, emp
    AND emp.sal > 1000;
    The above code will run on any database known to man (or at least me). The topmost example is obviously an Oracle "fanboi" trying to make the standard look worse than it actually is.
    personally I would use

Code:
      FROM dept 
     INNER JOIN emp
        ON dept.deptno = emp.deptno
     WHERE emp.sal > 1000;

Leave a comment:

• barely_pointless
    replied
    Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
    I agree with you here, I never used ANSI standard. I was on a gig last year that required a lot of work on SQL SERVER and ANSI literally did my head in. I still detest it.

I tried to use it in my last gig which was datawarehouse hence complex queries/joins .... in the end told client i cant guarantee the results even if they come out right.

cant teach an old dog new tricks

They do sound like a bunch of pedants, like a little learning is a dangerous thing, probably some clown running the show who is inexperienced, but really think he/she knows it all , besides Oracle is going ANSI anyway, I did about 2 years in Terrordata about 4 odd years ago and found the Terror-data sql extensions very intuitive and easy to use, I guess it's what you are used to. Some of the olap oracle stuff is way ahead of what terrordata has currently, but then some of the date handling and join syntax in ansi terrordata is often more succinct, it all depends, play whatever tune the client wants is my advice!

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    I've never use them...I always use the notation you described MC in the where clause.

I'm sorry to hear this (as you wanted the gig) but I think if they were that pedantic they'd be utter c*cks to work for! You've probably had a narrow escape mate!
    I mean, why couldn't they just tell you they prefered it done that way once you joined them? Why would they not give you the gig because of that?!!
    I agree with you here, I never used ANSI standard. I was on a gig last year that required a lot of work on SQL SERVER and ANSI literally did my head in. I still detest it.

I tried to use it in my last gig which was datawarehouse hence complex queries/joins .... in the end told client i cant guarantee the results even if they come out right.

cant teach an old dog new tricks

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
    ANSI SQL99-compliance ain't always as yummy as it looks.

Code:
    WHERE emp.sal > 1000;

Code:
    FROM dept, emp
    AND emp.sal > 1000;
    The above code will run on any database known to man (or at least me). The topmost example is obviously an Oracle "fanboi" trying to make the standard look worse than it actually is.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    crap that is in eBusiness Suite, SA!
    Which is not a bad thing....keeps us in work!

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    ANSI SQL99-compliance ain't always as yummy as it looks.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    My tech test was an hour long over the phone to the US, didnt work out how I planned ended up having to take the call on the mobile. Alot of questions involved me having to reel off an SQL statement, PLSQL from my head and speak it down the phone, not as easy as it sounds as it wasnt just simple SELECT statements, had to use inline views, subquery, cursors, I was abit taken back, normally they just want real basics like difference between UNION and UNION ALL etc

In the end it came down to the fact the other candidate was already using the same standard as them at his current gig, so understandable really.

Ahh well Ive learnt something.
    Sounds like you're best off out of it, to be honest.

Leave a comment:

• MobileCheese
    replied
    My tech test was an hour long over the phone to the US, didnt work out how I planned ended up having to take the call on the mobile. Alot of questions involved me having to reel off an SQL statement, PLSQL from my head and speak it down the phone, not as easy as it sounds as it wasnt just simple SELECT statements, had to use inline views, subquery, cursors, I was abit taken back, normally they just want real basics like difference between UNION and UNION ALL etc

In the end it came down to the fact the other candidate was already using the same standard as them at his current gig, so understandable really.

Ahh well Ive learnt something.
    Last edited by MobileCheese; 16 September 2007, 20:08.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    I always work with Oracle Applications...and I structure my code to reflect theirs. And they NEVER put joins in the FROM clause! Ever!

Are there any efficiency benefits? (As thats all I'm really bothered about).
    Don't think there are any performance implications one way or the other.

Usually, I would expect to be given project development standards, and conform to those, rather than expect to know during a technical test what their standards are. That said, I don't do technical tests any more - never been asked, apart from for permie roles, and they were Q&A rather than coding exercises.

I hope you write your code better than some of the crap that is in eBusiness Suite, SA!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X