• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Windows Vista wont access XP Shared Printer"

Collapse

• NoddY
    replied
    Originally posted by ChilliLime View Post
    Thats interesting thanks, how to I configure the local port then on the Vista client, should the port name just be in the format \\servername\sharename?

Thanks
    Not quite, the syntax is different because it's LPD>LPR printing. Follow this [I can't imagine it being that different on Vista]:

"Add Printer Wizard" :-

http://dingetje.homeip.net/dokuwiki/...winxp/printing

You add a LPR port, the queue name is the share name on the XP LPD server.

Leave a comment:

• ChilliLime
    replied
    Thats interesting thanks, how to I configure the local port then on the Vista client, should the port name just be in the format \\servername\sharename?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied
    Try direct TCP/IP printing (LPD/LPR). It avoids Windows networking. This is not the same as \\192.168.x.x.

Print Client:
    When you add a remote printer to an XP machine, it allows configuration of the remote printer via TCP printer 'port'; bizarrely it regards this printer port as 'local'. I would say Vista would still allow this.

Print Server:
    As for the printer 'server', you must install Print Services for UNIX (http://www.frogmorecs.com/arts/configure-lpdsvc.html)

So; your XP runs LPD and Vista LPR.

Leave a comment:

• ChilliLime
    started a topic Windows Vista wont access XP Shared Printer

Windows Vista wont access XP Shared Printer

Got this problem, can anyone shed any light on it?

I have a Windows XP machine with a shared printer, the sharename is \\computer1\hpoffice. Ip address of machine 192.168.2.3

I have a Windoes Vista machine called computer 2 with IP 192.168.2.2

I can ping between the machines fine.

I'm trying to access the printer from the Vista machine, tried using the standard add printer, network printer, share name. Tried both using the UNC path \\computer1\hpoffice and also by ip \\192.168.2.3\hpoffice. The error message was - the network path could not be found.

Both machines are in the same workgroup but cannot browse to the XP one whatsoever, again - the network path could not be found.

After struggling with this for a while I stumbed on a technet article which went into the new Link Layer Discovery Protocol responder that should be installed on the XP machine. I did this and it seems to have resolved the connectivity problem.

But now trying to add the printer I get this:

"Windows cannot connect to the printer. The server print spooler service is
    not running. Please restart the spooler on the server or restart the server
    machine."

The spooler service on the XP machine is running fine and I can print no problem from other non Vista PC's

I've only managed to find a handful of references to this error (like the one below) and no solution.

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-networ...r-problem.html

Any ideas?

Thanks

Working...
X