• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Document.tgz to read on Windoze"

Collapse

Guest replied
    Cygwin

Cygwin - yup - a lot of messing about - (there must be a simpler way).

Anyway, I've got the pdf files open now and they are readable.

Mission accomplished - cheers. 8o

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Ah ha, you don't have the unix box, so sorry, missunderstood.

Get a copy of Cygwin that'll have to tools you require in it.

www.cygwin.com/

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    rename the file to document.tar.gz and then load it into winzip.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Why not transfer to the unix box, gunzip and transfer the result back?
    Because the 'unix box' belongs to SourceForge and I don't have any write access to it. I don't have a Unix (probably Linux) machine set up yet. I was hoping to read through all technical documentation before setting a Unix machine up. (The technical notes may well influence my choice of Linux).

All I know is that I need "x86/Linux", but futher hints and installation tips are contained in the document that is currently zipped. I'm no Linux wizz, but I'm guessing that I should be ok with Red Hat?

I really need to unzip this documentation. I could ftp it to a webserver I use, (which is Linux based), but I don't have telnet access which I assume I would need to run guzip on it?

Any ideas?

(Summary):

1) I need to unzip and read documentation.
    2) I need to choose Linux version
    3) I need to purchase machine and install correct Linux
    4) I need to install code from SourceForge and carry out research/investigations.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    It's a tar gzip

Why not transfer to the unix box, gunzip and transfer the result back?

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Document.tgz to read on Windoze

Document.tgz to read on Windoze

I was interested in reading a .pdf file that has been packed-up on SourceForge as a document.tgz (tar-gun-zip?). Is there any easy way of unzipping this on a Windoze machine with access to a Unix host?

Any ideas? 8o

Working...
X