• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Ab Initio ETL

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ab Initio ETL"

Collapse

Guest replied
    No use Im afraid. Only SAS and Oracle they use. Sorry.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    thanks MF

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Sorry Sandy not used it.
    I thought it was an additional tool for SAS/Oracle.

I think I know someone at one of the Credit Agencies who has this set up.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    well since I have completely covered all current and future question on Ab Initio losers-who-cant-get-proper-website I will leave ya two alone here

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Well, unless I'm very much mistaken, you could be described as a tree hugging, liberal, god botherer.

That is based on your past posts. All very admirable too - it's just that I'm more of a pragmatist. My alter-ego fiddleabout can be a real b@stard at times too

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    <<Is this proof positive that AtW would make even a saint swear? >>

Saint ?? who me?? 8o

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I sure got her little bit mad even without using secret weapon argument exploiting her kinds weakness :lol

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    > AtW for fvuck sake

From Sandy !!!!

Is this proof positive that AtW would make even a saint swear?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    no war? well then Alex the Warrior has no job :rolleyes

> we were told by Ab Initio that DBAs are the most resistant
    > to Ab Initio at the beginning

better go ask Ab Initio to actually host online some tutorials, examples and downloadsather than smear major databases that have all of the above :lol

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    AtW for fvuck sake, I am not here to declare war and I am not the one who made the decision on which tool to use... my client who is a major major well known company is using it and I need to get involved in working with this tool, you will also find most major business with massive (massive means each single table has at least billions of rows) are actually using this tool ... so I needed some tutorials about it that's all .. I didn't need you to start defending databases??? however we were told by Ab Initio that DBAs are the most resistant to Ab Initio at the beginning (heh that’s funny if you know latin) but once they use it they are the best converts, I have never been and will never get attach to any specific tool/technology / language, whatever the clients wants to use I'll do it ...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Sandy, try to grab Marillion's attention back in General. I think he's a data warehousing bod.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    and now lets just look at the original question:

> if so is there any info/tutorials I can find??

the bloody creators site does not contain about fk all content, what does it say about product? Yeah I did not hear about it, could have missed - everything is possible, but so far it appears that there aint much to miss out there if creators of the software in question do not even bother to have a few pages of decent content apart from some marketing info clearly aimed at big companies who might or might want to buy them out from their otherwise loss making operation.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    thanks Perl (your sarcastic tone has been duly noted).

Sandy - sorry but to say that some fancy ETL tool would replace databases with efficient sql (and this is effectively what you said - "in 5-10 years time it is predicted that most databases / data stores will be just toooooooo huge to be processed by sql") is to lack understanding of databases. Just because you happened to be unable to run queries in Oracle does not mean that somehow databases will be obsolete, which aint gonna happen - certainly not for OLTP, and ETL tool won't replace proper number crunching db engine (which does not have to be relational btw - see Sybase IQ).

so how good is Ab Initio? Well look at their basis web site here - www.abinitio.com/ and judge for yourself. Things that I noted:

* too much red background
    * losers host simple X-static pages site using Domino
    * handful of content
    * no proper PDFs, whitepapers, downloadble versions of product, screenshots - no fk all basically
    * no knowledge base, no patches, no support board, no fk all to show that product is actually actively used (just compare them to some established sites)

how many people on hear heard about it apart from you Sandy? About none. Does it make them bad? Perhaps not, but so far there is certainly no reason to think that they will somehow take the jobs of databases.

oh wait, ETL? Well "select" does extraction nicely with all business rules applied as "SARGS". Transform? Well most databases have functions that would allow you to transform data anyway you want. Load? Well, if you do it all inside database then its already loaded. Sorted!

threaded.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: Technical

But surely if AtW hasn't heard of it, it cannot exist

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I am afraid not even I heard of it!!!
    Who responds to a subject he knows nothing about to say "I am afraid not even I heard of it!!!".

Most people would just ignore the post. But that wouldn't increase number of posts.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X