• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Another One For You Budding Oracle Guru's"

Collapse

• mashetti
    replied
    just my 2p worth...

if you used a quality tool like sqlplus then you can just use the prompt keyword. so you just go:

spool my_file.txt
    prompt this is my header
    select * from dual --or whatever your query is
    /
    prompt this is my footer
    spool off

just remember that union will implicitly group and order whereas union all will not. if you post something like this at forums.oracle.com in the sql / pl/sql forum you will get loads of responses from loads of know it alls... oh, and the difference will be that it will work, unlike alot of the guff above (although it did work in the end)!

Leave a comment:

• TheRightStuff
    replied
    Originally posted by Pat
    Hi everyone.

We are looking for Oracle application developers to work in Brussel for NATO.

If you feel you are qualified and interested.. please send me a note

cheers

Pat
    what in Bristol?
    No thanks.
    'WE SPEAK ENGLISH OVER HERE'

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Do I sound qualified after starting this thread ???

Leave a comment:

• Pat
    replied
    Oracle application developers for NATO

Hi everyone.

We are looking for Oracle application developers to work in Brussel for NATO.

If you feel you are qualified and interested.. please send me a note

cheers

Pat

Leave a comment:

• OrangeHopper
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    Originally posted by OrangeHopper
    For my penny's worth.

Why work with a flat file?

Why not using "insert into x select * from y@db_link"?

If you must use a flat file then don't bother with the column name line and use sqlldr to load it into the second database.
    how about this for a solution
    oracle -> flat file -> aparse -> oracle

Leave a comment:

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    For my penny's worth.

Why work with a flat file?

Why not using "insert into x select * from y@db_link"?

If you must use a flat file then don't bother with the column name line and use sqlldr to load it into the second database.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Got it working by doing this:

Code:
    SELECT DISTINCT

INSERT_STATEMENT

FROM

(SELECT 

'INSERT INTO <TABLE_NAME> (A, B, C) VALUES ('''||<fooA>''', '''||<fooB>''', '''||<fooC>''');' AS INSERT_STATEMENT

WHERE <fooB> = XXX

ORDER BY <fooZ>)
    UNION ALL

SELECT 'COMMIT;' FROM dual

Simple when you know how I guess

Leave a comment:

• Weltchy
    replied
    Add an additional column to the SQL that tracks the order by for each separate section, and move the ORDER BY clause to the bottom of the entire union. Change the ORDER BY to sort by the additional column and have the second sort field as <fooZ>.

It would read something like this

SELECT

'INSERT INTO <TABLE_NAME> (A, B, C) VALUES ('''||<fooA>''', '''||<fooB>''', '''||<fooC>''');' AS INSERT_STATEMENT,1 ROW_ORDER

WHERE <fooB> = XXX

UNION ALL

SELECT 'COMMIT;',2 ROW_ORDER FROM dual

ORDER BY ROW_ORDER ASC, <fooZ> ASC

Edit : Oh, if you want to ensure the ROW_ORDER doesnt get exported, wrap the SQL inside a table and explicitly define the field. ie

SELECT INSERT_STATEMENT
    FROM
    (

) ExportData
    ORDER BY ROW_ORDER ASC, <fooZ> ASC
    Last edited by Weltchy; 26 June 2007, 10:52.

Leave a comment:

• andy
    replied
    try it without union all

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Bleh i'm not Oracle guru, which I freely admit (and should be fairly clear from my question).

What i'm trying to do is create a flat file that will be used to insert data into a specific table on a duplicate DB to fill it up with test data.

The query i'm trying to do is as follows:

Code:
    SELECT 

'INSERT INTO <TABLE_NAME> (A, B, C) VALUES ('''||<fooA>''', '''||<fooB>''', '''||<fooC>''');' AS INSERT_STATEMENT

WHERE <fooB> = XXX

ORDER BY <fooZ>
    UNION ALL

SELECT 'COMMIT;' FROM dual

The problem I have is the order by. If I do a SELECT DISTINCT I have to add <fooZ> as a second output column (which isn't a big deal as I can just discard the second column later on) but the problem that i'm having is the ORDER By seems to break the union.

It's probably a very simple solution, but I admit it's something i'm not sure how to do.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by Weltchy
    <<Slaps hand against forehead>>

You guys are honestly contractors?

It's frightening isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• Weltchy
    replied
    <<Slaps hand against forehead>>

You guys are honestly contractors?

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    you can sort out the ordering like this but it's rather ugly

select mydata from
    (
    select 1 recordtype, 'my header' mydata
    from dual
    union
    select 2 recordtype, "field 1 " || field 2 "" mydata
    from mytable
    union
    select 3 recordtype, 'my footer' mydata
    )
    order by recordtype;

Leave a comment:

• EqualOpportunities
    replied
    Originally posted by chicane
    You and me both. Take the existing join mechanisms that make sense and everybody understands, and replace them with something that makes no sense and is therefore difficult to understand and learn.
    I tried them once - didn't like it, didn't bother again...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X