• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Anyone for Perl?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone for Perl?"

Collapse

Guest replied
    Re: Pearl

try coreftp - allows you to edit in place (OK it downloads & uploads but it sort of seems like it works in place) you can select your own editor (I use tsweb or crimson).

its easy. no more vi.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: Pearl

She's a singer isn't she .........

what else would you expect from a mainframe dino 0]

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: vi

> My son actually loves it.

fiddle - no joke here - but you really need to do something about it! Show your son some proper editors.

Personally i am a long time (12 years) user of Norton Commander that has everything I need in the shell - win32 native rewrite (brilliant!) is here: www.rarsoft.com/far_manager.htm

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

There's always Wordstar in non document mode....

control K B control K K.... etc. etc.

I can't believe I used to know all that stuff....

And the wonderful General Automation line editor...

@1/5,p to print out lines 1 to 5...

Ideal for a real teletype, not a glass one.

Aaaah, dear dead days beyond recall (thankfully).

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

> switch between insert and command modes

I used vi some years ago and found it incredibly frustrating. For any serious work I'd ftp the file from the unix box to windoze and use my own favourite editor (Kedit - works like xedit on CMS) then ftp it back after.

I was told that vi was designed originally for glass teletypes and similar crippled hardware which have few if any standards for cursor movement etc. My son actually loves it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    vi

Yes the VAX VMS editor was so much better.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    vi would take lifetime to learn - i am waiting for memoires of that guy from Sun who left recently (he is responsible for VI) to confirm my hard believe that he was stoned whenhe came up with concept to switch between insert and command modes :lol

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    You might also want to use an IDE. I like OptiPerl (www.xarka.com). Runs on Windows, but you can can save to Unix (built-in FTP), and the debugger allows you to step through your code, inspect variables etc, from your Windows workstation even when the script resides on a Unix server. Also higlights syntax errors as you're typing which is very useful.

Perl really is platform generic, so it doesn't matter if you learn on Windows or Unix, unless you need to come up to speed with vi or some other Unix editor.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Mordac/swamp,

thanks for those. The website looks good, and the Lama book it is.

Alf,

sorry....don't do windoze. Unix is the future.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    start running scripts on Windows - running things on unix has got lots of gotchas like not using windows text file format, unbuffering output for Apache or it is not happy etc.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    From O'Reilly:

Learning Perl
    Programming Perl
    Perl Cookbook

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: Beginners Guide to Perl

You might find this site useful.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Anyone for Perl?

Anyone for Perl?

Any of you guys know a good book on Perl?
    I can shell script to some extent, but will shortly need to get involved with Perl. I'm not a programmer (never done C and all that), so need something from the ground up.

Working...
X