• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Start Menu shorcuts not installing in Windows XP"

Collapse

Guest replied
    I would have thought insufficient rights would have resulted in a failed install, rather than a missing shortcut.
    The shortcut is probably there, but hidden. XP has a habbit of hiding anything you haven't used in the last 10 mins. You need to fiddle with the 'Taskbar & Start Menu' properties - right click on the taskbar and select Properties.
    There's an option to 'Hide inactive icons', uncheck it.
    Otherwise, it's probably an installer problem, although I can't think why it would only affect XP.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    x

What kind of installer is it?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Sound like a user rights prob to me.

i.e. Can you create XP start menu wotsits if you are not an admin on the box?

Who knows?

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Start Menu shorcuts not installing in Windows XP

Start Menu shorcuts not installing in Windows XP

Have been handing out evaluation copies of ed s/w in past few weeks.

One comment I got back was that installation failed to put the shortcuts on the Start Menu of XP. Can't reproduce this problem on my XP machine. Would have thought that odd user settings would allow complete install or no install, not install prog but not shortcuts. In fact the installer is set to install by default even for non admin user.

Unfortunately, reviewer was only a casual acquaintance so cannot really expect to borrow her machine and mess about.
    Any XP experts got any ideas on this one?

Working...
X