• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "PowerPC 750fx - very slow problem"

Collapse

Guest replied
    Re: IBM...?

true microchannel was a failure, but more monumental failure of IBM was to recognize that low cost producers like Compaq will have their day. It was real shame to see Compaq go as it was them who freed BIOS and allowed low cost production of PCs.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Somewhere or other I have a utility for converting 8080 code to 8086 code.

Dread to think what the resulting code looks like though.

IBM shot themselves in the foot with MicroChannel and the PS series.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

the only companies that really make moneyin x86 space is Intel + add-on manufacturers (gfx cards, hard drives), but PC asselmlers which is what Apples does - are working on razor thin margins. Who wants to be in that business? IBM does not and i cant blame them.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

But then again, Apple are still making Macs...

IBM...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

the point is that x86 has won it - test of time shown that the choices and sacrifices that Intel made 25 years ago paid back very nicely. Mainstream software compatibility is valued by consumers far more that nice looks of Apple - I respect Jobs a lot and I wish I was like him but with all that due respect I am damn grateful he did not lock the whole world into his closed way of thinking - remember, they have monopoly on making Apple Computers, something that doomed him to niche market.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

ATW, I remember it well... (through the mists of time, there stands before me the Intel Blue Box MDS with elephant's trunk processor interface).

And we thought 64k was a lot after the 16k of the 8008.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

dont knock intel - they opened new era of cheap general purpose microprocessors by releasing 4004, and 8080 was important step towards 8086.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I'm sure that those of us who programmed the 8080 would agree...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

my point is that by disappearing from Personal COmptuers and going fully emebedded Motorola ends the era proving the point that in its time Intel made right decisions cost, CISC, backwards compatibility wise.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Quote from some magazine "Embedded: the refuge of the failed desktop processor".

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    IBM...?

IBM will still use it for servers
    And Cisco will still use it for their comms boxes, and Mitel for their switches, along with hundreds of other embedded users. What is your point?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: Power Consumption...

this time PowerPC goes - Motorola is focusing on other things, and this will put extra pressure on Apple to move to x86 architecture. It is not easy thing to do for Jobs but he is a hard man and can do it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

So what, Motorola spun off parts of the semiconductor operation some years ago.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

yadda yadad yadda SupremeSpod - read this about your belowed Motorola PowerPC - "Motorola to spin off chip unit"

news.com.com/2100-1006-5086763.html

do you know what it means? Yes, this is beginning of the end! IBM will still use it for servers but watch Apple switching to AMD or even Intel. Jobs made smart move by using portable BSD Unix.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Don't you just love that, specially if you're the one who designed the hardware (speaking from experience here).

My favorite was a 64 pin device that ended up with only 63 pins on the pcb. Ooooops.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X