• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "WIn XP. Memory size recommendation?"

Collapse

Guest replied
    Re: XP and where to get it

Fairplay - Quite a few retailers will sell an OEM copy, but you have to prove your a system builder... this is usually done by buying a HDD at the same time.

I know this is how my company has been upgrading to XP over the last few months.

Its only really cheaper if you need more disk space... but then who with a broadband connection doesn't need a bigger drive

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: re:

Personally I have found XP extremely reliable.

Easy install and setup of everything I've needed to use - and guess what I didn't need a friggin C compiler or linker once no matter what add-on hardware I've used. Nor did I need to spend all night buggering about with strange config files full unintelligible junk 10 levels down in the file system. Maybe you linux nerds get a hard on playing about trying to make your computers work - I don't so I stick to products that just work out of the box - sadly from past experience that does not include ones with pictures of a penguin on them.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    re:

"Upgrade to Win XP a few months ago. A lot more reliable."

than what? wolves' defence?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Anyone know where I can get XP and Office XP without losing an arm or a leg?
    Ha ha ha ha. Yes!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Anyone know where I can get XP and Office XP without losing an arm or a leg?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: mikesed

No software shipped. Wasn't needed. The problem was me. I was sure I had inserted the memory ok but upon trying a third time it all booted into life. I guess I was just being too gentle with it..

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

> Added another 256k today. Delivery from Crutial was fast. Support was hard to get hold of for a few days as the memory would not install properly.

Didn't they ship any driver sofware with the memory?

IMHO, people tend to go for too much memory these days, they are stuck in the mentality of the late 486, early Pentium times when doubling your RAM would be a more efficient upgrade than buying a faster CPU.

Today CPU is king, especially when doing stuff like ripping DVDs to DivX.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

No wonder you can post so fast

Machines these days are actually outstripping Microsoft's attempts to fill the biggest hard drive and bring the fastest processor to its' knees.

I bet with a beast like that you can actually have a word and excel document open at the same time as you are surfing - where will it all end.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

512mb with 3.06Ghz P4 - Hyperthreading switched on in the BIOS.

Sh1t off the proverbial!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    mikesed

:rollin dude...i thought it was 160K and 320 if double sided...you gotta get into the nineties and get 3 and a halves

:rollin :rollin

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi guys,

Added another 256k today. Delivery from Crutial was fast. Support was hard to get hold of for a few days as the memory would not install properly.

When I did finally get hold of them, support was excellent and now am running extremely well. No complaints!

Thanks again for all the help.

Cheers,
    Mike

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Amazing that many people are generally reluctant to have government spying on them through identity cards etc, but are happy to be WinXP registered wth such a predatory company as MS?
    The web is awash with hookey corporate keys and the instructions on how to reset your install to the one you choose.

This has 2 major advantages ...
    1. you can still update the dodgy version that was available before the MS official version hit the shelves
    2. the truly paranoid can be anonymous.

All software is shareware - you just need to find somebody willing to share their copy with you

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I would recommend at least 4Gb with XP.

Of course you can switch to linux and all the worlds problems are solved and in only 16K.

Marvelous

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thanks all for help and advice. Have been to Crucial's webite and bought another 256k.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Amazing that many people are generally reluctant to have government spying on them through identity cards etc, but are happy to be WinXP registered wth such a predatory company as MS?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X