• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Eye strain

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Eye strain"

Collapse

• Chuck
    replied
    I have contact lens to cope with general vision, and also varifocal glasses for close work.

The glasses are a recent addition and I hate them. I can never quite get the focus right. Also, you have to move your head to read, you can no longer scan with your eyes. It's just not natural.

Having said that, I do need them, so it's an inconvenience that I have to tolerate.

Getting old is tulip.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Unfortunately my bank balance and pension are telling me it's nowhere near time to retire.

Tis, true, keep on trucking, 55 is still decades away.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    The point you didn't add is getting up hourly to get the liquid/water means your eyes take a break from the screen. This is also why you should get up and talk to people rather than send them an email.
    Weirdly enough I find that the days I get into the work and spend hours focusing on the screen are the days where I have less problems. It's when I spend half the day distracted that it's worse.

Does 4K help? I have a 4K (ish) laptop and it is a much nicer and easier to read screen, but then of course it's only 15".

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by IL Cattivo View Post
    Both Glasses & Contact Lens wearer here. Can often find headaches bought on by eye strain when sitting in front of a monitor all day.

Try to consciously blink more if you can.. IT bods do tend to stare a lot at the screen and when engrossed in their work can forget to blink normally resulting in dry tired eyes.
    Don't forget to drink a lot of liquid/water throughout the day too. Another important thing is to try and request a Work Station Assessment from your client if you're working at their offices. This may be able to gauge in identifying if you're sitting too close or far from your monitor, incorrect screen size / resolution for the type of work etc.
    The point you didn't add is getting up hourly to get the liquid/water means your eyes take a break from the screen. This is also why you should get up and talk to people rather than send them an email.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Your eyes are telling you it's time to retire.
    Unfortunately my bank balance and pension are telling me it's nowhere near time to retire.

Leave a comment:

• redgiant
    replied
    Agree with getting a larger display but also try to install f.lux if you haven't already which changes the colour range depending on the time of day you are in. Works on Windows, Mac OS, Linux and even some phones.

https://justgetflux.com/

Also important to add this software even works on ClientCo machines as it can be installed without local admin access on Windows.
    Last edited by redgiant; 23 August 2016, 15:09.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Your eyes are telling you it's time to retire.

Leave a comment:

• BackupBoy
    replied
    Multifocals here. Lower third set to typical computer screen distance, central third for TV watching and upper third for the rest.

Anti-glare coating too.

Especially useful (to me) for night driving as I like the instrument cluster display to be in focus.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I have varifocals which I wear all the time incl. for computer work. Once you get used to "scanning" the screen by moving your head a little, they're fine. I've probably made that sound worse than it is. I did try reading glasses for the PC but I have ants in my pants so I rarely sit at the PC for hours on end, which meant that the reading glasses were off and on like.... (deleted amusing reference to a lady of the night's underwear) which was a PITA.
    Yes funny you say that... I keep getting up and getting half way down the stairs before I realise I'm still wearing the reading glasses and can't see very well. I didn't like the sound of varifocals.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    And working off a big 4k monitor helps a lot I find.

Leave a comment:

• IL Cattivo
    replied
    Both Glasses & Contact Lens wearer here. Can often find headaches bought on by eye strain when sitting in front of a monitor all day.

Try to consciously blink more if you can.. IT bods do tend to stare a lot at the screen and when engrossed in their work can forget to blink normally resulting in dry tired eyes.
    Don't forget to drink a lot of liquid/water throughout the day too. Another important thing is to try and request a Work Station Assessment from your client if you're working at their offices. This may be able to gauge in identifying if you're sitting too close or far from your monitor, incorrect screen size / resolution for the type of work etc.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    I have varifocals which I wear all the time incl. for computer work. Once you get used to "scanning" the screen by moving your head a little, they're fine. I've probably made that sound worse than it is. I did try reading glasses for the PC but I have ants in my pants so I rarely sit at the PC for hours on end, which meant that the reading glasses were off and on like.... (deleted amusing reference to a lady of the night's underwear) which was a PITA.

I've been thinking about laser surgery but the recent thread on that put me off (again).

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Don't know if it helps the eye strain from looking ad computer displays, but for near/distant vision 2 pairs problem, there are glasses with variable diopter, usually the lower portion is for near sight and the upper for far sight. My father is very pleased with them.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    started a topic Eye strain

Eye strain

I've been suffering a bit recently, mainly feeling that my eyes get very tired after too much computer use. My eyesight isn't too bad; mainly an astigmatism which means whilst there's nothing I can't do without glasses it makes it easier if I wear them. At the last test the optician advised it might be time for two pairs: one for distance and one for reading, so last week went back and spent the money and for the first time ever have two pairs. I was kind of hoping this would make all the problems go away, but when it comes to computer use I'm not sure the reading glasses are actually much better than the one pair I had before. They are better for reading a book, but as I have the habit of reading something in front of the TV I can't then lookup and watch TV anymore.

There must be some of you who've been a speccy four-eyes since childhood and use a computer all day, so I was wondering how you get on? Do you have normal glasses, or perhaps different glasses specifically for computer use? Or do you just man up and work through the headaches and blurred vision?

Or any other tips? I've turned down the brightness on my monitors, and I've read that reducing the blue level works too. I've been trying out a VisualStudio dark scheme but I'm not sure I can get on with that and makes me think I've gone back to the 70s.

Working...
X