• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Static IP address for a few weeks"

Collapse

• administrator
    replied
    Originally posted by Contreras View Post
    Get a VPS to run services directly or route the traffic to your home box.

How much to spend and how to set it up depends really on what it will be used for. Bottom end of the market starts here.
    Lowend box has some wicked deals on it at times. Sorted my brother out with a little machine on there to upload his home CCTV pics to via FTP. Also for decent low-priced VMs have found Digital Ocean to be really good, $10 pcm for a 1GB VM with a 30GB SSD and 2TB transfer.

Leave a comment:

• zazou
    replied
    Originally posted by Contreras View Post

How much to spend and how to set it up depends really on what it will be used for. Bottom end of the market starts here.
    Thanks guys.

I ended up choosing a company from that list, basically the first one that had an active web chat lol.
    Set me up in no time but no instructions on how to set up on my side anywhere on their website. Rather employ someone to help customers!
    Fair enough, I got what I wanted, 6m for £16.

Leave a comment:

• stryker007
    replied
    I use dyndns to provide glue (as it were) for my home broadband floating ip to a name, then I use the dyndns name. Any domains I use have the dyndns name down as the dns server.

See I put "glue as it were" because there is no ip address to be used, only the fqdn provided by dyndns for my various personal domains, thus a lookup is required in order to resolve the name of my domain's dns server. The upside of this is should the ip ever change there are no updates to the dns needed on my part.... plus all the dns and whatever other services I want to host on the domains are all hosted on my virtual servers on my setup at home.

I guess it all depends on what you need the fixed ip for. If like me its for personal use then a lash-up in the style I use is just fine, in fact over the years my ip address with virgin media and now plusnet rarely changes anyway so long as I remain online and it's worked very well over the years.

As suggested above a VPS is likely the best solution given how ridiculously cheap they are these days.

Apologies if this is not clear, I've only had 3 hours sleep, just browsing the forums bored out my skull

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Do you need a static IP?

I use Free Dynamic DNS - Managed DNS - Managed Email - Domain Registration - No-IP running on my server

Leave a comment:

• zazou
    started a topic Static IP address for a few weeks

Static IP address for a few weeks

What would be the easiest & cheapest way of getting a static IP address if not with an internet provider (BT) or via VPN?
    I've checked with my VPN provider (HMA) and they offered me 12 months for $150 plus I have to sign up for their normal package for the full year. A bit to steep for a few weeks worth of work.

It would have to be all traffic not just http.

Working...
X