• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "arp issue - one for the networking guys...."

Collapse

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Normie View Post
    Is your scenario similar to https://supportforums.cisco.com/disc...ot-same-subnet

The solution there was to set up a static arp entry on the ASA and internet router/gateway/modem
    Cheers...

Not the same though, internally we are all 10.22.22.0/24 and ASA and default route/gateway is 10.22.22.1

Leave a comment:

• Normie
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Cheers for replying...

Network is dead simple, hosts ---> switch ---> Firewall/VPN ----> internet.

All routing is done on the ASA, nothing other than basic on the hosts, dead straightforward, default route is the ASA, really simple.

At first I thought it's just an issue with my Mac, but it isn't, some of the new hosts are showing the same too, I think it's arp on the ASA, and it's too hard for me!

Is your scenario similar to https://supportforums.cisco.com/disc...ot-same-subnet

The solution there was to set up a static arp entry on the ASA and internet router/gateway/modem

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Acme Thunderer View Post
    I ain't a network bod and I could be teaching grandma to suck eggs here, but you are sure the host thinks its on the right subnet or you haven't got a routing table glitch?

If everything is showing the gateway mac address for its IP, it could be that the host is trying to route everything. This would explain why the Gateway MAC address is listed for all the IP addresses.
    Cheers for replying...

Network is dead simple, hosts ---> switch ---> Firewall/VPN ----> internet.

All routing is done on the ASA, nothing other than basic on the hosts, dead straightforward, default route is the ASA, really simple.

At first I thought it's just an issue with my Mac, but it isn't, some of the new hosts are showing the same too, I think it's arp on the ASA, and it's too hard for me!

Leave a comment:

• Acme Thunderer
    replied
    I ain't a network bod and I could be teaching grandma to suck eggs here, but you are sure the host thinks its on the right subnet or you haven't got a routing table glitch?

If everything is showing the gateway mac address for its IP, it could be that the host is trying to route everything. This would explain why the Gateway MAC address is listed for all the IP addresses.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    Erm...

Flush the ARP table?
    Done that, try to reconnect to affected hosts, arp table shows IP has having the gateway's mac address again. Only workaround I have is;

arp -d -a

arp -s ip mac (for effected hosts)

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    Erm...

Flush the ARP table?

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Erm...

Flush the ARP table?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    started a topic arp issue - one for the networking guys....

arp issue - one for the networking guys....

Having trouble connecting to some of our hosts, strange thing happening;

1. When I ping, ssh, scp to some of our hosts, it times out/broken pipe. Reason is the hosts ip in my arp table seem to have acquired the gateway's mac address and confuses it.

2. When I scan the network with a scan tool, seems every unused ip in our subnet is now listed and has the gateway's ip.

3. The gateway is actually a Cisco ASA 5505 that gives out DHCP etc but these are statics outside the DHCP range.

4. The only other networking kit is a CISCO 2960 and Netgear GS724.

5. I'm using OS X which I believe has arp issues....

6. Some of the cables are very poor - crimped - could this be an issue?

I can override by manipulating the arp table but that's a PITA, something is fundamentally wrong.

Any ideas?

Working...
X