• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Unfortunate shop names"

Collapse

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    You go home on the bus?

To Hackney?

Are you sure you are a contractor?
    Must be one of them developer types...

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    R Soles on Kings Road is still my favourite
    Blimey, is that still there? I remember that from my student days in the early 80's. The also used to be a Chinese restaurant or take away (I forget now), down near Seditionaries, called "Ho Lee Fook".

Ah good times.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    The was a house cleaning company in Nottingham I think called "Spruce Springclean"....

Near me there's a Chinese called 'The Yuk House' - strangely always empty, and another round the corner called Fook something.

Best one I heard of was a kebeb shop called 'Halal, is it meat your looking for?' - I hope that one's real!

Peter Kays proggies over the years have had loads;

The Vinyl Countdown
    Balti Towers
    Mr Softy's Hard Stuff - sign still up on disused shop in Bolton!

Ok, three then.....

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    R Soles on Kings Road is still my favourite, closely followed by Abdul's Teas in the next village from ours (demographic 99.99% white chav).

Years ago there was a chippy called Fishcotheque near Waterloo station, not sure if it still there.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Originally posted by The Wikir Man View Post
    Since the introduction of the swear filter, I have been unable to stay in a Tulip Hotel.
    Funnily enough, I have occasionally stayed in The Golden Tulip in NL.

Or it maybe its The Golden Tulip, I forget which.

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    replied
    Since the introduction of the swear filter, I have been unable to stay in a Tulip Hotel.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Was in Pietermaritzburg not so long ago and we passed a run-down looking place on the fringes of town called:
    'Wayne's Scrap Metal".

Didn't look like quality merchandise to me.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    Yes
    Harringey actually
    and Yes

You ever lived in Tottenham?
    It ain't all bad, lived here 6 months and its just fine, even living within a couple of hundred yards of Broadwater Farm.

I spent roughly 15 years of my adult life living in London and never went there once, nor anywhere near it. I'm not likely to get there now either.

Before I met her, Mrs Gonzo lived near Turnpike Lane for a while. She says it was a tuliphole so perhaps the shop is named correctly.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    You go home on the bus?

To Hackney?

Yes
    Harringey actually
    and Yes

You ever lived in Tottenham?
    It ain't all bad, lived here 6 months and its just fine, even living within a couple of hundred yards of Broadwater Farm.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    Posting on the forum has given me a different view of things.

Was on the bus home last night going up Stoke Newington High Street, and there was a shop called "TULIP HOLIDAYS", that made me smile, and defo won't be booking an trips with them.

Then a bit further up the road Stamford Hill theres a shop called "TULIPS", couldn't see what it sold cos was closed up for the night, but once again

So the Contractor UK forum has not assisted the cashflow of these 2 establishments.
    You go home on the bus?

To Hackney?

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    started a topic Unfortunate shop names

Unfortunate shop names

Posting on the forum has given me a different view of things.

Was on the bus home last night going up Stoke Newington High Street, and there was a shop called "TULIP HOLIDAYS", that made me smile, and defo won't be booking an trips with them.

Then a bit further up the road Stamford Hill theres a shop called "TULIPS", couldn't see what it sold cos was closed up for the night, but once again

So the Contractor UK forum has not assisted the cashflow of these 2 establishments.

Working...
X